1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virginia Tech football beat (The Virginian-Pilot)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by FleetFeet, Aug 2, 2011.

1. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

Sounds like a pretty good deal. Landmark Media Enterprises - is that a spinoff from Landmark Community Newspapers Inc.?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1274434

Company: The Virginian-Pilot
    Position:
    Sports writer-Virginia Tech football
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    September 6, 2011
    Job ID: 1274434

Description:

The Virginian-Pilot and The Roanoke Times, both newspapers owned by Landmark
    Media Enterprises, are seeking a sports writer to cover Virginia Tech football.
    The successful candidate will lead joint coverage of the beat, writing breaking
    news stories, features, explanatory and investigative articles. The successful
    candidate also will provide regular and consistent online coverage, including
    but not limited to a blog and social media content. This person will be
    self-directed in this regard, with the goal of making The Roanoke Times and The
    Virginian-Pilot the preeminent sources for Virginia Tech football news.

When football is not in season, this person will stay on top of the beat while
    also writing on various other topics, including sports from other Virginia
    colleges and universities.

This person will report to The Roanoke Times sports editor from July 16-Jan. 15
    and to The Virginian-Pilot sports editor from Jan. 16-July 15.

Closing date is Tuesday, Aug. 9. Apply using the link below. If you already have
    a resume in our system, you should update it FIRST before you apply; otherwise
    it will automatically pick up your old resume.

https://commsjobs.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=2998

If you have trouble the above link, go to
    www.thevirginianpilot.com/mediacompanies, click on Search for Jobs, click on
    Quick Job Search, then enter job code 2998.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting - glad they are getting another body.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Interesting you'll have different SEs as your supervisor depending on the time of the year. Used to work with the Pilot SE.

4. writingump

writingump Member

Whoever gets this will have big shoes to fill as Kyle worked the hell out of this beat. At least you'll get to deal with one of the nicest coaches around in Frank Beamer. I can't speak for the sports editor at the Pilot, but I've dealt with Steven Hemphill at the Roanoke Times frequently and he's good to work with.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing. Glad another journalist will be able to have a job, not just change the position.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is a hybrid of Randy King's and Kyle Tucker's positions? Reading it makes me think that, especially if they're in a hiring freeze, and multiple people have said they are.

7. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I had heard hiring freeze, too. And as far as I know, Tucker did not report to separate editors. Randy King has had some legal issues at Roanoke, but as far as I knew he was still there, right?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Randy is still there. He was at the ACC kickoff. The original plan was for him to provide all content for Roanoke and Norfolk. Good to see that's changed. It's too big of a beat for Norfolk not to have somebody on it.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Had the Pilot not filled that position, they'd have no real glamour beats to call their own. They already get UVa from Roanoke, swooping in for features/big games/stretches when the football or basketball team gets hot, they dropped the Redskins beat, they've been sharing NASCAR with the other two big Landmark dailies (and that I'm guessing is done too). If they aren't staffing VT, then their coverage zone is limited to South Hampton Roads.

If you're reporting to the Pilot SE for six months, I wonder if that means you're not living in Blacksburg full-time?

10. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Wonder what the jack will be.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I heard from somebody that works in Roanoke today that Randy is still at the paper, but won't be on the VT beat.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Whoa. Interesting. He wrote the lead-in to practice starting and the story in today's RT from the open of practice.

Draft saved Draft deleted