1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virginia Tech emotions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hammer Pants, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm not sure if this deserves its own thread, but I am so conflicted with my emotions from this whole Virginia Tech issue.

Before I saw these videos, I felt sorry for the shooter. I thought he was a mentally ill person who probably experienced some awful event that turned his life for the worse. I truly felt sorry for him.

After seeing the videos, I still want to feel that way. I really do. But more than anything else, I feel anger like I've rarely felt in my life. Had that guy pulled a gun on me, I'm sure I would do what just about all of you would do — run like hell and hide. But I would just love to slap those guns out of that little fucker's hands and beat the hell out of him for doing what he did.

This small, physically-weak-looking guy became the king of the universe and played God by taking the lives of 32 people because he bought a gun (which I can't believe he could do so easily, but that's for another thread). And then he thought he could show all us a point with his video, that he could put on a scary face and hold up some guns and intimidate us. I will probably settle down later (something this little fucker couldn't do), but I am as angry as I am sad about this. That video pissed me off.

For all I know, he could have been gang-raped as a boy. I don't know. But how do people become so psychotic? How does this happen? How could he not understand that everyone has things go wrong in their lives, and most people are mature enough to handle it rationally. Even people who look like they have everything usually don't.

I mean, someone had more money than you. They had a nicer car. They had a hot girlfriend. So what? You were about to graduate from a good school and go wherever you wanted in life. You could have made piles of money.

How do we fix this? Have people always been this crazy, or have we analyzed everything so much these days that everyone can justify excuses for everything, when most of it really isn't a big deal? Have people always been this crazy, and now we just have more powerful weapons to do more damage? I honestly don't know.

I am so distracted and confused by all of this. Surely I'm not the only one. What does everyone else think? This whole situation has disturbed my girlfriend so much that she makes me watch the news in the other room and has asked me not to talk about it. I understand her stance, but I want to talk (or in this case write) about it.

How does everyone else feel about this. Angry? Sad? Both?

I mean, my emotions don't matter compared to the people who lost loved ones in this tragedy, and I don't want to sound all righteous because I have thoughts. My cousin could have been killed, and he was just one building over, but this is not a pity party for me. I guess I just wanted to rant my frustrations somewhere, and all of you are the lucky winners.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Am I missing out on a video? The only one I've seen was the cell phone one from outside the engineering building.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

MSNBC has a video that Cho sent to the NBC headquarters

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Watch Countdown or Hardball. They show parts of the video with this miserable piece of excrement talking in angry tones. Suicide was way too good for him. Way too easy. May he rot and boil in hell for fucking eternity.

So, uh, no. I can't have a reasonable discussion on this. I'm still way too emotional about it. I bet you that guy in the hospital who forgave the shooter would feel differently after seeing the videos.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The guy was a low-life cowardly scum. His ramblings were pathetic, self-centered, and bullshit. They were so arrogant and worthless. Suicide was the easy option for him, and in his feeble mind he went out a martyr, like Christ so he believed. But he didn't. We can all at least know that's not how it happened. I feel bad for his parents, who are evidently going bananas, literally, over this.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I just hope this piece of shit gets what is coming to him in the After Life...

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I hear you. The videos turned me, too. Now I'm pissed.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What he said. There's no excuse for it, and the video only made it worse. Rational people don't do that. Kid was crazy, he had issues, but he killed 32 innocent people before he took his own life. He's not getting my sympathy.

9. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

He was nothing more than some miserable piece of shit who couldn't control his envy of others and his hatred for his own life, so he put the blame on everyone BUT himself and "punished" others for his own failures. No accountability for his own life.

Fuck him. I'm glad he's dead.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I purposely stayed away from here since the shootings, mainly because I was having a hard time coming to grips with all this myself. And frankly, some of the emotions fly so wildly around here, and I just didn't need it.

But I'm feeling it completely tonight. And I don't think I have any compassion for the shooter. At all. He took the lives of 32 people, all of whom probably would have contributed more to the world than he would have himself.

goddamn it, I'm angry. I'm angry at what happened. I'm angry at realizing that getting angry isn't helping a fucking thing. I'm angry at the fact that I'm always going to think of this when the school's name comes up, and I've had some good times in Blacksburg.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Death is too easy a punishment for what this guy did. I'd rather have seen him get Ned Beattyed or Ving Rhamesed myself, then capped in that particular location.
    Another thought: How many 4.0s will VT be handing out this year? The deceased left behind a lot of roommates. Personally, I'd give Ph.d's to the poor saps who got saddled with Little Johnny Jihad this semester.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The more I read and watch the more my stomach hurts. I have a baby on the way and to think I might get a call some day that he's been killed by some shooting at school? It's just an unbearable thought. Incidents like this really make me question humanity, our society, etc. We've evolved and done so many incredibly wonderful things and then something like this...I don't know.

Draft saved Draft deleted