1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virginia on-air shooting: Assassination?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mpcincal, Aug 26, 2015.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure if this would be appropriate in the Sports and News thread, so I'll address it here:

During the course of coverage of the tragic situation in Virginia, I've heard Shepard Smith from Fox News (yeah, I know) and a CBS reporter on our local news broadcast refer to the slaying of Alison Parker and Adam Ward as an "assassination."

Is that really the correct term for this? The AP stylebook says the term refers to a murder "only if it involves the murder of a politically important or prominent individual by surprise attack."

It was definitely a surprise attack, and a case could be made that Parker was a prominent person in that market, but I don't think "assassination" applies here. Am I missing something?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's totally incorrect.
    It was more of an execution.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seems like more of a workplace violence crime of opportunity. Not an assassination.

4. I would say it is not an assassination.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Terrorism.

Draft saved Draft deleted