1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virginia, MN

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I think you've reached the point where you could claim residency.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

To most people he's probably known as the answer to one of the all-time great trivia questions. He was the No. 1 pick by the Miami Heat in the 1988 expansion draft (it was weird roster reasons that led them to do it). He was also drafted by the Mavericks in the 1980 expansion draft.

He hardly played any games in the NBA - none for the Heat or Mavs - but his carer high came against the Lakers. He's from my dad's hometown of Fulda and was a 6-9 star center on their 1975 state tourney team, which was one of the best in the state, although it was 2 classes by then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arvid_Kramer

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I looked him up on Google. He's one I should know. Guess I've killed off too much grey matter over the years..

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

You know, I think the 1976-1977 Minnesota Golden Gopher basketball team --which McHale was a member of -- was pretty damn good. Too bad they didn't get a chance to compete for...

5. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

It's the Iron Range or da Range. Mesabi is for mapmakers and outsiders.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I agree, but Mr. Weaver was asking a legitimate question. It changed from Mesaba to Mesabi at some point.

I'm gonna have Sarma tonight, I think.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thanks, Mr. Mix.

I am an outsider. That's why I'm asking. ;)

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My high school basketball coach was, and is, the spitting image of Kevin McHale. The resemblance is uncanny.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Iron League, eh? Lotta fights?"

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Me too, but I have learned so much! For instance, the Mesabi is the largest of four distinct iron deposits in the Iron Range, along with the Vermilion, the Gunflint and the Cuyuna. ;D

And Roger Maris was also born in Hibbing.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Damn... are you older than JR and spnited?

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Double J, Gary Puckett, Vincent Bugilosi, the Jeno's pizza guy and Chi Chi LaRue, too!

Easy there, slap. Old, but not that old.

Draft saved Draft deleted