1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virginia, MN

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

No, the well-known folk singer Robert Zimmerman. Graduated from high school in Hibbing with my high school swim coach.

Anyway, Virginia's teams are nicknamed the Blue Jackets, I believe. That's all I got.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Hibbing Blue Jackets

Virginia Blue Devils

Edit: Still my Dad

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Mea culpa.

4. Moorhead Spuds.
    Thief River Falls Prowlers.

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

You dated girls from there, too!?!?

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Virginia Blue Devils, Hibbing Blue Jackets, Chisholm Blue Streaks. ... Not sure what the deal with blue is on Da Range.

7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I don't know when or why it changed. I have pieces of iron ore mounted on acrylic stands that have "Mesaba" in the inscription. They date back to the 50s. I'll ask a couple of people who lived there and see what they say.

Edit: Might be something in the IRRC archives. http://www.ironrangeresearchcenter.org/

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Neither did Steve Lingenfelter.

Cullen was born in Virginia, but I think he was pretty much a Moorhead boy. That's where he was a high school legend anyway, not sure when the family - dad coached - moved there.

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Thought Lingenfelter would do better at the U than McHale.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, the weird thing with McHale is that he's obviously the best NBA player ever from Minnesota, but was nowhere near being one the best high school players in the state's history. Not even the best high school big man: Breuer, Olberding, Przybilla and others (my dad's all-time favorite, Arvid Kramer) were much more dominant, not to mention Lingenfelter.

11. Nope.
    Wrote about hockey in that league, once.

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

STG, Remember that game? McHale couldn't stop Lingenfelter.

OK, who is Arvid Kramer?

Draft saved Draft deleted