1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virginia job

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jims242, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Jims242

Jims242 Member

OK, let's rock and roll here.

The News Virginian, a small award-winning daily in the heart of Virginia has an opening in our two-and-a-half person sports department.

We cover straight preps and some pagination is involved (usually twice a week).

Pay is what you expect, but we're on our way up. Won our first APSE ever this past year and have no intentions of that being our last. We have a blast whilst covering preps with all the gusto that major metros cover MLB, NFL and so on. Did I mention we have tons of fun here?

PM me for specifics.

Looking forward to seeing some of your resumes.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

i guess listing contact information on here is totally out of the question. Afterall, it is a jobs board.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As I said the last time - Moddy Seal. Great spot to get yourself rolling.

And grifter, no need to be a smart ass. Maybe he wants to see if you are smart enough to figure out where to look?

4. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Thanks, Moddy.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Two and a half? You guys got yourself Matt Roloff taking prep calls down there or what?

6. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Nah, just some in-house moving that will help all aspects of the paper in the long haul.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I believe a part-time position is usually counted as half since it's generally 20 hours a week.

8. Not too familiar with the paper, but I know they cover the tar out of the local preps in the Waynesboro region. If anything local makes the state tournament, expect balls-to-the-wall coverage.

Rents in Waynesboro are reasonable, it's close to Charlottesville and there's a Starbucks. Staunton, which is also close by, has decent restaurants.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not the biggest fan of the paper's former ME, but I like the section, from what I've seen.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I was worried this might be Martinsville again. Not a bad place to get a start.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

The SE is good people.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

What are the qualifications? Number/type of clips? E-mail, links or hard copies? Not including official contact name and information, seeing if an applicant can find it, is pretty weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted