1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virgin territory for pro sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 6, 2008.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I thought Jacksonville was the NFL's smallest market besides Green Bay.

Also, Providence has a team -- the Patriots. Foxborough is 12 miles closer to Providence than to Boston, according to Mapquest.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Of the above list, excluding Vegas, only a Louisville NHL franchise makes regional sense. But that's like putting a curling franchise in Odessa, Texas.

Portland doesn't make the list because they already have the Blazers.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That whole list, or whatever government agency sponsors it, is a crock. The area I work in is at 224,000 for its metro area, but it doesn't list it. Another former area I live in lists two cities in its area, but not a third, which is closer and bigger than the second one mentioned.

I hate census stats, they can be taken anyway you want them.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I guess that means Intercourse, Pa. is out of the question.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Don't teams spend the weekend in hotels in Providence when they play in Foxboro?
    Hartford maybe a bit misleading because in terms of TV markets, which I would think owners care about, its in like the high-20s, bigger than Kansas City, Cincinnati, Green Bay, Jacksonville and Buffalo.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think at some point in the future, we'll see an NHL team in Anchorage, Alaska.

Lots and lots of oil money up there for corporate sponsorships.

Ultimately, the definition of "major league" will continue and continue to grow. Leagues will continue to expand, even if it may take a long time, and more cities will come under the definition.

In 1920, there were about 10 cities which would have been considered "major league." Now, there are like 60.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, many of them do.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hamilton, Ontario. (Hi. JR!) And don't tell me they have the TiCats. They're shit. And in the CFL.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They had the Steelheads.

At least, until the show got canceled. :D

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was referencing smallest areas that have a major team. I'm assuming Portland, Ore., is smaller than Buffalo, but I could be really wrong.

Edit: Which in hindsight I am. Apparently they are 17th according to dixiehack, they just aren't on the linked list.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I had no idea there were so many people in the Grand Rapids and Greenville areas.

I could see the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area getting an MLB team someday. At one point the Twins flirted with moving there and there's not a big leage team in the Carolinas, so the TV market would likely include Raleigh-Durham (more than a million people), Charlotte (around two million) and Greenville-Upstate, South Carolina. I'm sure they'd draw attendance from all those areas too.

Draft saved Draft deleted