1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virgin Tales — Chapter 7

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Oct 15, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Arnold here. Feeling trapped at this stage is not good

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I, too, am with Arnold.

If the leg injury hadn't happened, do you think you would still feel this way? Because if so, yeah, it's over. If not, wait for the leg to heal and get on with a life that is, perhaps, together.

3. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I think it's over. You're a good guy for caring, but you're mistaking sentimentality for love.

If you don't have a fire in your relationship now, at the beginning, this isn't going to last.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What the hell is it about 'The Hills' that turns otherwise intelligent women into teen-age girls?
    My GF watches it, and the last one watched it too. Do I have to start screening for this?

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Jay:

It's very admirable what you're doing. I was in a similar situation for several years. But If you continue to move forward motivated by nothing more than a sense of duty, you'll just end up resenting her and making yourself miserable.

You have to be honest with her and yourself. You owe both of yourselves that. As I always tell my family and close friends, "Tell me what's on your mind or don't waste my time." Life's too short to waste time.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Looking ahead, what happens when you print out "Virgin Tales, Chapter 8" and she asks what happened to Chapter 7?

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

See, I think some of y'all are missing something here. Jay was feeling pretty good about the direction of this relationship before the injury, which was kind of a game-changer, if you will. I think he should stick in there (no pun intended) until some sense of normalcy returns and see if things get back on the track they started on. I, for one, think that's a pretty good idea.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed. Life doesn't always turn out the way you planned, but that isn't always a bad thing...

9. outofplace

Perhaps, but there are some disturbing signs here.

The woman is 35 years old and he isn't allowed to sleep over because her mother has a problem with it? It is the girlfriend's apartment. It's not like this is the mother's house. Also, it sounds like she expects everything to revolve around her when they are together (such as him having to put up with her TV shows while she won't tolerate his). These are little things, but they matter. They tell you something about how the person thinks.

Maybe we are only hearing the challenging parts because that is the most interesting story material. Only Jay really knows if this is worth moving forward. I'm just saying there are some issues here and it might be good for him to at least make some changes.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's a constant bartering process.
    You get to control the TV remote, and in exchange you pretend to listen when she wants to talk.
    Relationships are about compromise.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

12. outofplace

That reminds me. Whatever happened to Magic 8 Ball girl?

Draft saved Draft deleted