1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Violence in the Ivory Coast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

This is a truly sad story, and I cannot imagine the terror these people must live with on a daily basis:

http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/02/un-base-in-ivory-coast-town-where-hundreds-killed/

Here is the problem as I see it. With the so-called "Obama Doctrine" the right is going to point this out and ask what he is going to do about it. And the left will, correctly, point out that the UN is already there. Have UN Peacekeepers ever actually kept the peace? Really tragic story.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of Obama, but the sad truth is there's little the U.S. can do about this. It's Africa. If you re-establish the peace, another brutal and corrupt dictator will rise up within a decade. It's a vicious cycle that there's no clear or easy way to break.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Time lob some tomahawks at the ivory coast.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Boom....is that what The Obama Doctrine dictates? Seriously, dude has totally boxed himself into a corner with his action in Libyia. However, I think the presence of UN "peacekeepers" in the region gives him a pass.

5. Boom_70

Sounds like those doing most of killing are the UN supported rebels.
    Going to be a tough call on where to aim the tomahawks.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Let 'em all kill and eat each other...I'm sure somewhere the Koran preaches that.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The great thing about the Obama Doctrine is that it doesn't actually exist, so folks like Carlton can "cite it" anytime they want and make up a meaning that suits their own purposes of attacking him.

9. Boom_70

There is no doctrine but Obama has put himself in a box with his decision to aid Libyan rebels. Now it will be expected that he act every time there is an uprising around the world.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The French certainly have gotten frisky lately, haven't they?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Right, because he acted upon every rebellion around the world in the first 25 months of his presidency. A clear pattern has emerged.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The French have been intervening militarily in what is called Francophone Africa, their former colonies south of the Sahara, since the 1960s. It's not a change in policy. The only difference is now it's been noticed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.