1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Violence in St. Louis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 18, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The PD chanting "Whose streets? Our streets!" while arresting people was not a good look.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Some have claimed on the first night police broke some windows and blamed protesters.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did we discuss this case here when it first happened?

I don't remember it at all. I'm also surprised to see how long it took to go to trial. What was the reason for this?

I don't know much about the case, but people I respect say it doesn't look good.

Heard on the radio a bit ago that the officer gets something out of his duty bag in his car after the shooting. He then "adjusts his waistband", and walks "empty handed" back to the other car, where a gun was found.

He told the FBI that he did this prior to providing first aid. But, he never provided first aid, and the gun had the police officer's DNA on it, but not the dead guy's DNA.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Read last night that police surrounded a group of people that included a P-D reporter and ACLU people, then arrested them for failure to disperse.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not sure of all the details, but over the weekend a P-D article mentioned in passing that additional evidence came to light within the last year or so.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Make America 1968 Again

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I stink at twitter and computers, but a few tweets from someone on the scene.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

always amazed by people who have time to protest. Must be time-management savants

#postingwhilewhite

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it was better in 1968, at least there. Grew up on the Illinois side of St. Louis, and remember going to the only Sears around (cross reference Things That Make You Feel Old thread for multiple reasons) in East St. Louis in the 1968-70 timeframe. Sure seemed like people of different races co-existed better then than now in that town. How very sad.

Have a ton of family still there--one of the few that have moved elsewhere. I've lived in Chicago and Atlanta and driven in some of the roughest parts of both of those cities and never felt at risk, but I would piss my pants before getting off the interstate in some places of North St. Louis.

It's a shame. It's a nice, little city that has a lot to offer, but it's on a death spiral. Maybe the geographically dispersed suburbanites can bring the economic muscle to save it, but I'm thinking it's going down and big time. No business will want to be there, no investors will want that risk. Probably soon to be like Green Bay and the Packers where only the Cardinals remain.

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted