1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vintage Seattle Pilots photos discovered

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. slc10

slc10 Member

I may be wrong but I think MLB owns the Pilots logo, etc. to do as they wish.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Paging Dooley Womack ... and Jim Bouton, if he chooses ...

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Don't forget Gene Brabender.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Correct. There have been some licensed Pilots and shirts available through mlb.com, and Mitchell & Ness did Pilots jersey reproductions.

BTW, I've never seen a cap that gets all the details correct.

5. turski7

turski7 Member

Bouton's probably out shooting beavers.

6. I'm guessing they're not available at the Kingdome any more.

7. Buckweaver's spankshed uncovered.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Fuck shit. Shit fuck.
    Sure wish those pictures had some captions.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The last couple shots -- the proof sheets, on Tri-X film -- brought back a few darkroom memories for this ol' film shooter.

And yeah, we need a roster to tell who some of those players are.

Cool shots -- the papago mountain formations in the background seem to indicate the field is what's now called Phoenix Municipal Stadium, right? Or was there another spring training field around there?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i'm all kinds of fired up!

if he can't get signed in, tell him i'll give him my password ... so he can feel free to not use the shift key and curse all he wants!

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nope, that's Tempe Diablo. That's where the Pilots trained. (The captions also say the photos were taken in Tempe, though none of the players are identified.)

It's hard to tell because the buttes have so many buildings in between them and around them nowadays. Back then, that area was pretty undeveloped. Remember, too, that 1969 was the first year that Tempe Diablo was used for spring training. It was built in '68 and the Pilots were the first team to use it. After the Brewers left in 1973, it actually sat empty for a few years until the AL expanded again and the Mariners moved in.

12. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Only if you want holes in your shoes.

Draft saved Draft deleted