1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vintage Seattle Pilots photos discovered

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Seattle P-I has unearthed some vintage photos of the Pilots from spring training and early-season 1969. The spring training ones were taken in Tempe, I think at Diablo Stadium, judging by the rock formations visible in some of them. Cool stuff.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Seattle-Pilots-forgotten-photos-uncovered-3860654.php#photo-3445917

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Very cool. Would love to hear Jim Bouton's commentary on those shots.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Shitfuck.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Awesome stuff. Go pound some Budweiser.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Awesome stuff. I want that jersey now.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I sent Jim Bouton a note with a link, asking for his response. Told him he was welcome to sign up (if he can get through) and respond, respond through me - or ignore it! I will let you know

7. micropolitan guy

Couldn't find a Pilots jersey on the Mariners site but this place sells Pilots' gear:

http://www.prepsportswear.com/vintageteams/Baseball/Washington/Seattle-Pilots.aspx?schoolid=2706965&gclid=CI3Et-OQs7ICFQjZQgodw04Adg

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, would love to see a color pic of that.

BTW, anybody have any idea what that structure is in the background of picture 16 is?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the Brewers own the rights to the Pilots' logo?

10. micropolitan guy

Not sure. But you can buy a Milwaukee Braves' cap at the Brewers fan store. Can't find a Pilots' cap on the Mariners site, but I've seen them for sale at Safeco and the Kingdome.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes. And that Prepsportswear site is a fraud. You can type in any "team name", pick out your colors and designs, then buy/sell apparel for "vintage" teams. (See: "Los Angeles Angels".) None of those logos are real.

The only vintage Pilots gear you can find online is either truly authentic vintage apparel on eBay/auction sites or the Cooperstown Collection stuff from the MLB.com Shop (via the Hall of Fame's site): http://shop.baseballhall.org/Seattle-Pilots-Products-_-1949952272_PG.html

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I sent Bouton a note once via his website, just on a whim. Got a nice reply the next day. It was a minor thrill after reading "Ball Four" so many times.

Draft saved Draft deleted