1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vintage Reilly here

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Rick Reilly's latest column. Gives me hope for the man yet.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

One of Reilly's better columns, but let's not get carried away with the reference of "not used to meeting gods."
    I mean, hero maybe.
    I know Reilly didn't mean to get that mesmerized with Elway when writing this column, but gods?
    That said, however, this rates as one of his best.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nah. Apparently, it sucks. In fact, Reilly should just retire. Get out of the biz because there are plenty of people who can do a much better job.
  4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When I was in college, I was working at a Broncos training camp as one of the lowest peons in Greeley.

I was waiting outside the dining hall for a punter to finish eating so I could be sure a phone interview happened at the right time.

As I was waiting, from behind I hear a voice ask me how it was going.

It was Elway. To this day, that still blows me away.

I did not work for his organization, and he may have recognized me from the practice fields, but to just start shooting the shit out of the blue floored me.

And "keg-chested" is the perfect description for Elway in street clothes.
  5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

This column was dealt with on another Reilly thread, the one about his redistribution of the MVP awards. I'd say the consensus there was correct, that this was a good piece, but on a very tired topic. The famous athlete being nice to the sick/troubled/grieving kid has been done many, many times.
  6. Kamaki

Kamaki Member

The first thing I thought when I read the line about "gods" was that it was ripoff from Updike's "Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu."

"The papers said that the other players, and even the umpires on the field, begged him to come out and acknowledge us in some way, but he never had and did not now. Gods do not answer letters."
  7. Has anyone checked out Reilly's blog... he did the 25 things list on Facebook, that seemed pretty cool.
    The person he most wants to meet is Dave Barry... and he hated - HATED - Cosell.
    I knew about the dislike for Cosell. I remember him retelling a story about Cosell - on one of the Sports Century bios - at a Super Bowl, taking an elevator all by himself and making some smart ass crack to the writers who had to wait the next one was for the little people. His was for important people only.
  8. To a 13-year-old die-hard fan, Elway might be best described as a god.
    I think that is what Reilly meant.

Nice job. Damn good work.
  9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a good read, don't get me wrong, but I'm not surprised for a second that Reilly did a story on the athlete who he probably knows the best and in the city where he lives.

If he spent more than a couple hours on that column I'd be surprised.
  10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And 9 out of 10 times those stories are found because someone writes him and he doesn't have to do shit.

He did a great job with it and is a great writer, but I bet if anyone of us got the stories tips like he does, we would write the same kick-ass columns.
  11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Or if he reads a story in another paper and then writes his own version of it.
  12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I thought it was much better than his usual output, but I do understand that it isn't original. That's okay, though..there are worse things to do that tell another story about a really nice guy and a happy kid.
Draft saved Draft deleted