1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vintage Base Ball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Getting to your 50s was no breeze back then either.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I covered a couple of games like that in my TV days and there is a team in the small, resort town where my mom lives and I went to one of their games a couple years ago.
    I geek out of ancient history of all sports so it's right in my wheelhouse. Now if only we could get some vintage basketball going. Peach baskets and cages for all!
    (As for vintage football, given the mortality rate pre-1905, let's not)

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Correction: It was William Edward White, in 1879.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2013/04/william_edward_white_was_a_little_known_19th_century_man_the_first_black.html

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To be clear, 1865 America sucked, as did its baseball.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I have played some vintage ball and it's a blast ... as long as you don't break any fingers catching barehanded.

It's beer-league softball with funky uniforms. And you might learn a little something about 19th-century baseball while you're at it. Pretty fun.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Least surprising post on this thread. :D

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Also, the aforementioned risk of broken fingers. And that's if you're lucky enough not to play catcher.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There's a few of these teams in the Cleveland area. I watched a game. Looks fun. There was even a girl playing.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I played in a game a few years ago. Got to pitch a couple innings. Saw the real players making some pretty good running catches barehanded.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

She must have been a whore. In 1865, only whores exercised, and especially only whores consorted with men outside the home.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wish I knew Photoshop. Someone could have some fun with this post, and the "fat shaming" poster.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Outing alert: LTL runs the Old Hoss Radbourn Twitter account.

Draft saved Draft deleted