1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vinny Testaverde...another HOF argument

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing one of the Kennys (Stabler or Anderson) is the best ELIGIBLE (my fault, I wasn't specific) QB who is not in Canton.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Ken Anderson would be my closest best..but pretty much there are no real major snubs unless you are a fan of Simms, Plunkett, Stabler, Lamonica, Roman Gabriel, John Brodie or Don Meredith. They all have their fan bases who say their guy has been looked over.

Testaverde was the John Hadl of his generation....a lot of yards, a lot tds, a lot of interceptions, never came close to a championship.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

No, it's still Favre.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Different sport but a couple of my friends think Derek Fisher will get in the HOF.

I think they are nuts.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

In the Paul Brown autobiography he consistently said that Otto Graham and Ken Anderson were similar as far as quality quarterbacks are concerned. I think Paul was in the early stages of dementia by then.

And Derek Fisher doesn't even belong in the Hall of Above Average.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Two 4,000-yard-plus seasons. Put him in Canton!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Vinnie goes in the same way I do--through the front door after paying the admission.

And somewhere in Kansas, John Hadl just kicked his dog...

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Which also means a good chunk of those passing yards came against prevent defenses while down three touchdowns.

Take out that 1998 Jets season and his record is 78-119-1.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Better compiler: Kerry Collins or Vinny? I go with Kerry. He was the better QB, although barely.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nah. He had the great arm, but he was always too easy to fool interceptions. Somebody mentioned that game against Penn State, which was the perfect example of everything that was wrong with Testaverde.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not that it would sway anyone's fake vote (understandably so), but to be fair, he had the Jets up 10-0 in the third quarter of the AFC title game in Denver in 1999 before the wheels fell off thru little fault of his own (I think he threw a pick with the game out of hand). Little doubt at all the Jets end up winning the Super Bowl if they get there.

Testaverde is obviously not a HOFer, but he still had a remarkable career. He finished his career with a 275/267 TD/INT ratio, and that's AFTER falling into a 77/112 TD/INT ratio hole in Tampa. His 1998 w/the Jets was utterly magnificent (12-1 as a starter, 29/7 TD/INT). In 2000, the year after his shredded Achilles cost the Jets the Super Bowl (not a Jets fan, so my comment comes somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but that team was fucking loaded except at backup QB, where Parcells had Rick fucking Mirer), he led the league in pass attempts at age 37. He started 15 games for the Cowboys at 41 and came off the street and led the Panthers to a victory in his debut in 2007, when he was almost 44 years old. He threw a TD in a record 21 straight years (which is admittedly a bit of a hollow and cheesy record, since he was put into late-season games in 2005 and 2006 just to keep the streak alive, but still pretty cool).

Someone once told me Testaverde was the type of guy who benefited from repetition and when he knew exactly what was expected of him. Can't be a coincidence he had the best years of his life for Parcells and Belichick, and it makes you wonder what kind of HOF debate we might be having if he benefited from that kind of coaching in his 20s and didn't open his career in the graveyard that was Tampa.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Colorblindness is a bitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted