1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. What is Vine?
    Is it of any use?

2. Good question, im also interested in this one.. I see it pop up more and more esp on twitter.. Anyone used it?

3. Vine? As in the victim notification network that lets people know if certain criminals involved in crimes against them are let of jail, have additional crimes, etc.?

If so, probably not of much use journalistically.

4. Vine is a mobile service that lets you share short looping videos... right? Never used it myself but as i said its getting more and more popular.

5. Wade Wilson

Wade Wilson Member

All it is is popular. I really don't see how it has any journalistic value. Have seen/heard a few "new media editors" extol its importance in new media strategy, but I've never seen anything useful in a Vine video.

Will Sasso's vines are pretty funny, though.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I signed up for an account a few weeks ago, and I echo sentiments that I don't think it has much journalistic value. I've used it for advertisements for stories and quick clips of games or stuff I've covered.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There's at least one major-metro newspaper editor who has been posting horrible 8-second Vine "videos" zooming in on a computer screen that shows his paper's front page for the following day.

Stop that, please.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I use it to shoot videos that we can quickly share to social media channels. Cheap content. Great interaction rates. Good for improving our impressions.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What type of interaction do you get?

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

What can you shoot in six seconds?

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Weather, weather, weather. Weather is always good for web traffic. ALWAYS.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I would use it for sports. Capture a big play then tweet the Vine.

But I can see it being useful for spot news.

I still haven't used it because I'm on Droid but I'm curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted