1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Sep 20, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He cannot read defenses. The Bills thought so little of him they thought Tavaris Jackson was a better option.

2. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Rick Mirer couldn't read defenses and he played for five teams.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember talking to a NFL exec the year where it was widely reported (and later disputed) that he got a 6 on the Wonderlic. The team where the guy worked, was drafting in the middle of the first round and needed a QB and I asked him if he would consider drafting Young and without hesitation, said, "No way..." I said, "You really think he will fall that far?" and he said, "Oh no... There will be one team that will be dumb enough to take him..."

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Losing all that money in five years is dumb. But it was Young's emotional problems, not his IQ, that really did in his NFL career.

5. Mizzougrad96

It will be interesting to see if he gets another shot in the NFL.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It was his emotional problems that hindered his ability to read defenses?

I'm not saying they aren't a factor but you can't succeed without the ability to adjust and read defenses.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't get this. Vince Young is STILL a professional quarterback. He can play and will be on someone's roster. His money problems come from immaturity but he's not the first, or the last, athlete to squander a fortune.
    It's a sad story but I really think it may have a happy ending.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The problem is, he's already had that "He's done" moment. Every player has one. It's that one game where they just don't rise to the occasion when given an opportunity, and they never come back from it. Until then, people can always talk themselves into believing the guy can thrive in the right situation.
    For Young, it was the debacle against the Seahawks last season. That game showed people he's not even a capable backup that can come in and handle a team for a few games. His showing in Buffalo this preseason didn't help matters, and his mental issues make you wonder if you want him holding a clipboard and signaling in plays for you.
    He's a bust. It's sad to say, because he's probably on the short list of greatest college football talents of the last 30 years, if not ever. But he ain't coming back.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

People wondered the same thing about Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell getting another shot, but as with them, there is little evidence to suggest Young even wants another shot.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He should get together with JoMarcus Russell and open strip joint.

11. Mizzougrad96

I covered guys who would spend $60K on an Escalade and then drop another $100K tricking it out. There was one player who during his rookie season, bought eight cars. He wasn't even that highly-touted. I think he stayed with the team that I covered for two years and then got another two somewhere else. He lived in a fairly nice-but modest house and the idiot would actually have two cars in his garage, three or four in his driveway and then some of the leeches who followed him from home would be driving the others... It was just insane... This was about seven years ago, but if he has a penny left I'd be surprised...

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I wonder if he is "still a professional QB".

Jeff Fisher tired of his act and went with Kerry Collins several years ago. He went back to Young only after pressure from the owner - - who was paying Young that $26M guarantee - - forced Fisher's hand. Jeff Fisher is a highly respected coach around the NFL.

Andy Reid gave up on him in Philly as a back-up after three starts in which Young threw 8 INTs. Andy Reid is regarded as a guy who knows offense.

Chan Gailey had Young in training camp with the Bills this year and cut him to make room for Tarvaris Jackson as the back-up there. Gailey is known as an "offfensive oriented coach" and he preferred Tarvaris "Freakin'" Jackson.

If there is going to be a reincarnation here, Young has a strong headwind to face in the NFL coaching fraternity. I am not so sure he ever gets to play again.

Draft saved Draft deleted