1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I think it's surprising in that he blew through all that money knowing he hadn't been a clear-cut starter in years.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He's the one who labeled the Eagles the Dream Team last year. I don't think a grip on reality was ever his strong point.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In October, ESPN 30 for 30 is airing "Broke," a documentary about athletes who've lost all their money, and then some.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2012/05/michigan_state_great_andre_ris.html

I remember reading somewhere that a lot of pro athletes are like lottery winners, in that they come from little money to insane amounts of it in a very short time, and have no idea how to manage not only the money, but how it changes their live and the people around them.

One solution: have someone on your roster like the Indiana Pacers' Jeff Foster, who has helped teammates in money management. The story below also gives the grim stats on how many players end up broke -- a lot.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/jeff-foster-the-buffett-of-basketball-10202011.html

4. LongTimeListener

The Phillies who played alongside Lenny Dykstra are probably similarly well-off.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And once again we've got an "uncle" entrusted with his investments at the heart of the money blowing. The first rule all these newly minted athletes need to be taught is this: NO FAMILY MEMBERS OR FRIENDS FROM THE NEIGHBORHOOD should have a goddamn thing to do with your money management/investments. Hire professionals.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

To those of us still awaiting our first million and living on a budget in the real world it staggers the imagination how someone can blow that much money.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

[​IMG]

Perhaps he can explain.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. LongTimeListener

It's amazing the ways athletes can come up with to spend money. I once heard secondhand, through another player, that Keyshawn had a cigar humidor built into the trunk of his car.

9. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

So sad. A few things come to mind

- A lot of athletes go broke, but this is unprecedented. Vince Young IS young.

- When you factor in the pregame hype, the cache/tradition of both teams, the star-power of the players involved, the announcer (Keith Jackson's last game, after all), the entertainment value of the game itself, the amazing finish and legendary venue that hosted it all...I can't think of a better game that decided college football's national championship than that 2006 Rose Bowl. While a bit sloppy, it was by far the best BCS title game, though I'm sure tOSU fans will argue with me.

- How many kids does Vince Young have??

- Is there any chance he comes back? Does he have the determination?

- Remember when the Houston Texas were labeled as buffoons for passing on Bush and Young?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Occasionally you'll see a mom or dad who has their head on straight and is keeping an eye on their son.

I still remember Rashard Mendenhall's mom's quote the week before he was drafted regarding family and friends who were looking to cash in.

"Don't call. If you were driving a broke-down car on Friday you'll be driving a broke-down car on Monday."

11. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Vince Young simply followed Tug McGraw's financial advice

Reporter: How are you going to spend your World Series winning money?
    McGraw: On wine, women and song...and just waste the rest.

12. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Tyler Thigpen and Shaun Hill are still knocking around in the league. If he gets his shit together there's no reason he couldn't be on a depth chart somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted