1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

One of the great events of this past Sunday came when conservative hero Lee Greenwood sang his one hit and conservative hero Clay Travis proclaimed the Nashville Titans would win big thereafter. Nope.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not sure. But Turkey Jones will come out of retirement if German Suplexes were legalized.

3. tapintoamerica

Missouri plays a decent team for the first time in two months. Loses.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Birmingham team was forced to forfeit the season when all the players were injured trying to crowd into the front of the bus.

EDIT: Yes, the bus boycott was in Montgomery, but there were stadium issues ...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

The franchises in Little Rock, Birmingham and wherever they can put one in Mississippi will contend annually for the Standing in the Schoolhouse Door Trophy.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Point of Clarification - Lee Greenwood is currently 75, on his fourth marriage (his wife is 50) and has six kids. God Bless the USA never hit #1 (on any chart), though he has 7 #1 country hits. I've actually witnessed vets stand up when he sings this song live. He seems like a decent guy, but I also imagine he's a bit of an a-hole.
    ""Kim is the only woman I've ever loved. I don't say that to make my other wives feel bad. My exes, I don't talk to them. They weren't pleasant divorces. For my childrens' sake, I do respect their mothers however, because they took care of those children when I wasn't there. I'm an active father in this marriage, and I think that's how I've changed and matured. But you search 'til you find someone that you really love. That's the key."

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And he recorded this:

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The ad is better than the beer. Though you can say that about Bud, Coors and Miller as well.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Neut is going to stumble on to this thread and have a conniption.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He has his own network, he doesn't need anyone else this time around.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Isn't it subscription-only?

And I have said this many, many times: People aren't going to watch a sub-standard brand of football if there's no previously established emotional connection. People don't watch high school football unless it's their alma mater or their nephew or whoever plays on the team. Same goes for lower division college football. Same goes for minor league pro football.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

The XFL came about because NBC didnt have pro football and thought it could make money. They got McMahon to add "pizzazz" because as stated on here, no one is going to give a shit about an inferior football product in this day and age.

That being said I hope the XFL does come back as a "we stand for the flag, uber patriotic hook." I hope Trump tweets about how great it is. I also will not be surprised in the lightest when it fails miserably because the flag issue is not the reason the NFL is losing its audience and Trump and his crew quickly blame liberals.

Draft saved Draft deleted