1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Every coach in the league is required to wear a fedora on the sidelines
    The concussion protocol is ‘how many fingers do you see, plus or minus 4?’
    Play the National Anthem before the first half
    And Lee Greenwood’s God Bless the USA before second half kickoff

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

1) It's probably a ploy for Vince to sell first right of refusal in his next TV deal

2) I do think there's more of an audience for this kind of off the wall non-mainstream stuff today than there was 15 years ago. Streaming adds a new way to reach audiences and create revenue. By involving Vince and possibly having Manziel, Kaapernick and/or Tebow as faces of the league instead of the He Hate Me's of the world you're already going to get more attention than some of the fledgling leagues out there like lacrosse or women's hockey/soccer. College football's also much more widely distributed than it was in the late 90's so more of the players who don't make the NFL have some small level of name recognition.

3) Don't market it as an anti-NFL thing or a big WWE thing. Using the Rock/Jim Ross in the XFL was stupid. Worrying about the cheerleaders and the big hits was stupid. Don't repeat that, don't get sucked into some marketing thing about standing for the anthem.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is not happening and I'm amazed this thread is on page four. Nobody is going to be McMahon's broadcast partner on this one.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Jimmy Howard is right, the decline in NFL viewership is not as simple as people taking knees. Chord cutting, big stars getting hurt, big market teams being awful, head injuries and domestic violence among others are turning people off.

Firing people for taking knees will back fire in several ways:
    1) You risk having your biggest stars getting let go
    2) You risk the best talent refusing to come (beyond the fact the best talent is going to the NFL)
    3) You risk getting hit with a massive lawsuit when you're firing all the Black players.

Vince could require standing for the anthem but getting fired will spectacularly backfire

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Games too long, too many replays, seemingly too many flags, they’ve taken hard hits out of the game and the league is so authoritarian that it’s not fun.

If Jerry jones is the brains of making money for the league, it should be noted that as GM of the Cowboys, he’s mediocre at best

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Vince has been known for having double standards when it comes to his top stars as opposed to the rank and file (Cough, Brock Lesnar, Wellness Policy, Cough).

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Great point about the length of games.....there's a market for televised football that goes off in 2-2 1/2 hours with minimal commercials a la soccer.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

But the 14 words are tremendous.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seriously - go with a weight limit. 250 pounds for lineman, 230 for TEs and LBs and 215 for everyone else.
    And only two facemask styles.
    [​IMG]
    And
    [​IMG]

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Would the DDT be legal?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

FWIW, I love the NFL. I can’t wait for Sunday every week. I know that’s an unpopular position these days.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If there's an FS2, there's a way.

Draft saved Draft deleted