1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My response is the same as last year: I give no fucks about watching live football from the end of the Super Bowl until the first ball is kicked off in Week 0 of the following college season. Too many other things on to watch an inferior, minor-league product.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Some interesting stuff in the rules. I like the speed-up rules with running the clock after going out of bounds and incompletions. Prefer a quicker play clock (35 seconds). Good with no kicking extra points, no coin toss. There will be lots of tweaks, but overall, I'm intrigued.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All running clock does is make it so more of each game consists of the clock running between plays and less consists of actual football being played.

Cut the play clock to 25 seconds.

The kickoff and extra point rules are, as many have pointed out, dumb. Especially the part where a team wishing to attempt an onside kickoff must announce it beforehand.
    Shit, as it is onside kickoff success rates are down to about 10%. Put in that rule, they'll go to about 2%.

Like somebody else we know, McMahon wants to smash things up because somebody else built them.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I want a running clock that gets faster in the last two minutes.

In overtime, Team A's offense lines up against Team B's defense at one 25 yard line and Team B's offense against Team A's defense on the other 25. Whoever scores first wins.

Referees on unicycles.

justgladtobehere and Flip Wilson like this.
  6. Starman

What about the idea of getting rid of all kickers and punters altogether?

1. Instead of kickoffs, after a score the ball goes to the scored-upon team's 30 yard line. If the scoring team wishes to try an "onside," THEY get the ball and must gain 10 yards on one play to retain possession, otherwise the "receiving team" takes over.

2. For PAT/FG attempts, the current goalposts are replaced by a rectangular upright goal, 10 feet off the ground, 2 yards wide and 4 yards tall with a net attached. The team attempting the goal must THROW the ball into the goal with the requirement the passer must take a direct snap from center (no shotgun snaps) -- meaning attempts would likely face serious defensive pressure, which would make throwing the ball through that keyhole slot considerably tougher. Since the goalpost would essentially be a tall upright lacrosse goal, no more debates on whether the try is good or not.

PAT attempts would be made from the 25 yard line. Teams could attempt 2 point conversions as they do now.

3, Instead of punts, on any down the offensive team could declare a "punt pass," which would mean the pass would remain a live ball (for either team) following an incompletion.
    On traditional punting downs, offensive teams would heave long bombs far downfield with the full expectation the defense would pick it off -- the net effect would be the same as a punt. (Obviously punt passes would be counted separately from normal passing stats since the expectation would be that many/most would be intercepted.) But, if the defense can't haul it in, you've got a live ball bouncing around loose 50 yards down the field.

End result: No more kickers.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

but what about the anthem

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

All players will have to sing it aloud, in the original German.

9. Starman

Ted Nugent will perform the XFL Anthem,

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always thought having an NFL tie is needed for a spring league to work. Have the back-up QB and linemen get reps, a player or two coming back from injury, kickers. The NFL keeps a bunch of FAs on the roster with "futures contracts" but I'm really not sure what they do between the last snap of a season and mini-camps. Don't most players work out in their off-season cities?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Already taken care of.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With the Baylor news, I looked up what Shawn Oakman is up to - the 6-9 D lineman who was acquitted of a sex assault a year ago has been biding his time in the arena leagues. He's already been cut by the XFL LA franchise.

Draft saved Draft deleted