1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The only market that won't have at least one hockey or hoop team is Seattle. And hockey is coming.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I hope it fails miserably and immediately.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. DanOregon

They're not getting any TV rights money - I figure the XFL will get money from any ads they sell (or maybe not).

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The networks are covering the Xtremely Trumpist Football League's production costs of $400K/game. So it's somewhere between the league paying for access and the league paying a rights fee.

5. DanOregon

I'm just hoping the talkers on ESPN and Fox outlets don't become "cheerleaders" of the league like some on the CBS networks did with the AAF.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

ESPN talk up a sport it carries ad infinitium? Unpossible ... but first, this update on what LeBron had for dinner.

Bud_Bundy likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It's a wonder the league didn't make it when Tiki and Tierney and Time To Schein were carrying their water.

8. DanOregon

Inside the short, unhappy life of the Alliance of American Football

The best post-mortem I've read. Apparently Ebersol called in favors and used his famous friends to give the alliance credibility when there really was nothing there. The highly touted VC money was "thanks for coming by here is a lovely parting gift" in terms of amount, but made the league look a lot sturdier to potential investors.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree, a really nice read. Ebersol was clearly a bit naive, but also sympathetic - he probably should have moved on when he couldn't find a quasi-respectable main backer, but "spring football" seems like the "Lost City of Atlantis" of broadcast pipe dreams. Maybe McMahon will finally do it - His net worth has gone from the hundreds of millions to $3.5 billion, so he can weather losses for longer than his first attempt.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There is nothing even remotely sympathetic about Ebersol, whose main qualification for running a league was being born to Dick. Fuck him.

11. DanOregon

12. DanOregon

Those logos and names - with the exception of the roughnecks could have been switched around between cities. And I really hate teams called the SOMETHINGHawks - isn't a hawk enough? And if it isn't why not pick something else?

Draft saved Draft deleted