1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not to forget all the fans coming in from the Carolinas.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that the AAF or the XFL make it is because of television. Ratings for football are higher than for basketball or baseball. The old USFL, for example, had ratings about level with the Major League Game of the Week. There is a lot of airtime to fill on various cable channels. Right now Oklahoma City is the three seed and Utah the six in the western conference of the NBA. I can foresee a second rate football league getting a higher rating than a playoff game between those two.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Maybe it was this guy. The College Football Playoff was his idea, after all.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Is that Brett Kavanaugh?
    [​IMG]

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Interesting comparisons:
    The first decade of the nfl was almost a joke in terms of relevance and how the game was played. No standard schedules, tanktown teams everywhere, odd rulings, no playoffs...

The MLB had 25 years of NL, NA, AA and PL jockeying before it formed and then it really had no rivals so it took off.

The first 15 years of the nhl were bizarre...finished its first season with three teams, battled western leagues for supremacy until the mid 1920s and yet somehow grew to 10 strong teams within a decade. And then the depression hit, and the league shrunk to six team and would stay that way for decades.

The NBA was really a backwater league until the late 195os...any league where Syracuse won its title is really a low level league.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The NBA was utterly bush-league in comparison to the NFL and MLB until
    the early 80s. Remember, the Knicks, at least in theory the league's flagship franchise, had to vacate their home court for the circus every year.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Bruins did a 10-day west coast trip early in the season all the way until the circus shut down a year or two ago. Money is money.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have spent a lot of my time at the NHL going through the League's historical documents and any time Frank Calder, the first President, would send out a letter to the owners asking for blackout dates as they put the next season's schedule together the Rangers would reply that all Ranger - and later Ranger and Americans - home games would have to be scheduled around two major annual events at the Garden: the circus and the marathon bike races.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Lakers and Clippers leave Staples Center for 10 + days each year for the Grammys. The Spurs have had a super long road trip annually because of a rodeo for as long as I can remember

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The Blackhawks and Bulls went on lengthy November road trips for years because the circus was in town.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Wasn't Disney on Ice the reason?

Draft saved Draft deleted