1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

NFL teams sign players to futures contracts in the off-season - it's not like they're doing anything between now and mini-camps.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Needing that much cash in Week 2 definitely raises alarms.

Has anyone heard what the TV ratings were last weekend? I'm expecting a fall with no game on CBS.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm sure he's expecting a return on investment but what are the odds he's going to get anything but a small fraction of that back?

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I am shocked that their Starter sponsorship doesn't have the league in the black.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I read something about an AAF team being awarded to Raleigh in exchange. Whether it would be an existing team that struggled at the gate (which I suppose would be all of them) or as part of an expansion to 10 teams wasn't mentioned.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

They're going to move a team from its city already? Pretty awful to do that to the fans. We'll see what happens when the lawsuits start and all those fans show up to protest and get the city council involved. Maybe this will just be a push to get a new stadium?

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Totally unfair to the dozens of fans who have been die-hards for 2 weeks now.

HanSenSE and bigpern23 like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fixed.

I find it hard to believe the $250m buy-in came out of the blue. Imagine if they had that announcement coming out of the first week instead of on the heels of the payroll news.

Given the profitability of the NFL - they really should go in on this league or create their own developmental league, given the lack of time players have for practice. You've got to get your backups reps.
    But I am surprised given the number of failed attempts at start-up football leagues - it doesn't seem that much has been learned.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Birmingham franchise has reported crowds around 17k the first two weeks. People keep squawking that it looks like more in the stands/pictures, and I tend to agree. They gave away 3k season tickets and have been papering the town with discounted tickets. I think that, wonder of wonders, they are actually reporting paid attendance.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

What if they all get together and burn their jerseys and team gear... in a very short-lived, small fire in a little bucket? That'll show those greedy owners.

TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted