1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Contrast that with the four-letter network, which didn't even have the scores available on its app -- and if you've ever dug deep there, you'll find scores from sports you've never even heard of. Pathetic for "the Worldwide Leader" but hardly surprising.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

See also NASCAR, the Olympics, and boxing.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They got pretty good coverage in Birmingham. Then again, the team is packed with ex AU and UA players.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Are they negotiating with the Mcmahon Football League for television rights.

ESPN may be lame, but they do chase money. Otherwise they’d put on skiing, rugby and ice fishing competitions before they put on talking douche bags

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I loved the pace of play, especially after touchdowns, punts, etc. Back in action in a minute. It was like watching a 1960s-era NFL game.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I just figured the XFL was going on Fox after that big WWE deal.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

In three taps, I just found English League Two soccer scores on the ESPN app, just to prove your point here.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If the AAF is able to sustain what it has at this point - why would any decent player opt for the XFL next year? Seems like the AAF will be more of an NFL pipeline and the XFL will be like one of those reality/sports shows where they try and suck people in with stories about the contestants struggles, setbacks etc.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The NFL is largely that already, a weekly melodrama that crescendos in games -- and with freakish, famous athletes. The XFL can't hang its hat on reality-show stories about second-tier players no one knows, it can't do what it did last time in trying to sell increased brutality (kickoff scrums!?), and it can't trick up the game to the point that it's unrecognizable. I can't see what else would work, especially as a third league.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Within a few years, I could see the AAF going to 16 teams, with each team serving as the AAA-level affiliate of two NFL teams.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I’d like to see AAF allow college aged players chuck their shackles and get paid above board.

justgladtobehere and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Won’t happen because of the NFL influence.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted