1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wilbon is screaming in his sleep

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember when He Hate Me was national news. The XFL didn't even get a second season.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is "groin injury" a new euphemism for "gonorrhea?"

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The original XFL wasn’t great, but there were other factors at play. One was when a game went past 11:30 (possibly during February sweeps) and cut into SNL. Lorne Michaels was pissed. They started “Heidi”-ing games after that.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They had Jennifer Lopez as guest star that week. A more solid 6 then than today. I think they ended up doing the show live for the studio audience and showing it on delay.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You would think...but then to see Christian Hackenburg go 10-for-23 for 87 with a INT today makes you think maybe not.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Christian Hackenburg is not good at football.

8. DanOregon

That's Christian (likely no 1 pick at one point) Hackenburg. Seriously - do evaluators just figure every QB is a top 10 pick before they start breaking down the tape? And to think the biggest question mark about him going into the draft was his leadership ability.

Anybody covering the games? I figure the local papers are putting it on the Sports front, everyone else a brief or agate only.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Bianchi was at the Orlando game. It was actually fun watching him regurgitate Spurrier cliches and bitch about his deadline.

And since Orlando has my guy Ryan Davis and had my band at halftime, I went to the home of the 2017 national champions to check it out. It was a good presentation.

10. DanOregon

I do figure it is only a matter of time before the NFL allows their people on futures contracts to play in the league. Maybe a third QB as well. I don't know what kind of money you make on a futures contract - but you're not getting any reps until minicamp - even then - AAF guys will have had a whole season of reps heading into the camp.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mic-ing up the replay official and the coaches was a smart move. I like that.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Came across a game on nfl network last night and was stunned the league would have “competition” on their channel. Makes sense they could be open minded on making it some kind if developmental territory in the future

Draft saved Draft deleted