1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

vin scully

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, May 20, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Between Vin, or Steiner, or Jon Miller, the late-night drive home has become a lot more enjoyable through XM.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Jon "Boog" Sciambi does a good job, too.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You can stick Jon Miller up someone's ass, too, with the contrived voice and massive ego.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I hate the Giants, but really enjoy listening to Miller.

Having XM radio and the ability to hear all games, most of the announcers sounds the same.

Miller, Scully, Brenneman, Bob Uecker and Mike Shannon are among the few distinctive voices left where if I'm flipping channels without looking, I know which game I've found.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uecker remains responsible for the single greatest home run call I've heard.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, brother. Why don't you shit on Ernie Harwell and Mel Allen while you're at it?

Anyway, what does it matter if they have an ego? If they're great broadcasters, they're great broadcasters.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Because I don't object to Harwell or Allen. You're like idiot fans who say, "Oh, you just hate everybody" Fuck that.

If you think ego doesn't come across on something as unscripted as a three-hour baseball broadcast, you're not paying attention.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We really get the yin and the yang here in (northern) SoCal...Vin's the best, it's amazing how great a fit Charlie Steiner is when you don't get Vin...but down in Anaheim, we're stuck with Jose Mota and his p r o n o u n c e n o t j u s t e v e r y s y l l a b l e b u t e v e r y l e t t e r delivery, and his paint-drying pxp guy, whose name I can't remember even though I hear it every day.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

If you want to hear an announcer who has lost miles off his fastball, tune in to Jerry Coleman doing the Padres.

Great man, great patriot, but he's awful. He used to be a lovable bumbler, but now it's not always clear he's watching the game.

10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Is Dick Enberg still doing Padres' games on TV? I don't get a chance to see the broadcasts in LA, but I remember being pretty surprised about him doing the games since I thought he had pretty clearly lost it the last few years he was doing CBS broadcasts.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Your opinion on broadcasters is deplorable. You absolutely don't know what you're talking about. Period.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My baseball broadcasters rank:

1. Jack Buck
    2. Vin Scully or Jon Miller, take your pick
    4. Joe Angel
    5. Everyone else, with the caveat that I haven't heard some of the great ones being recognized here.

Draft saved Draft deleted