1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

vin scully

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, May 20, 2012.

1. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Seriously?

I guess I'm biased as someone who has covered a lot of ball. But even if you don't, it is not hard in this electronic age to know a hell of a lot about Matt Kemp. I'd rather take the chance that Vin Scully might teach me something I don't already know.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'll take Scully reminiscing about a game in 1954 over what I heard on a Dodgers telecast the other day.

There was a trivia question asking which pitchers threw their first no hitter after winning multiple Cy Young awards (Santana, Seaver, Gibson, Randy Johnson) and Eric Collins seemed shocked after being told by someone in the truck that Nolan Ryan had never won a Cy Young.

How could he not know that as the broadcaster?

Then Steve Lyons said if you asked any player in either dugout who the most dominant pitcher they've seen in their lifetime, they'd say Nolan Ryan.

Ryan retired in 1993, so anyone under 30 probably can't remember ever seeing him pitch, especially at his peak.

Yea, so tell me more about Van Lingo Mungo and ditch these other guys.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This, we can all agree on.

YES!

Draft saved Draft deleted