1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

vin scully

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, May 20, 2012.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Does he still call dodgers games? I got a new app on my phone and pulled up a local broadcast of tonight's game only to hear Charley Steiner, who's fine, but I wanted to hear Vin.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He calls Dodger home games, and, correct me if I'm wrong, he goes on the road for West Coast games only.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Vin only does the first four innings on radio, but the entire game on local TV.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Then I wonder why I didn't hear him. Was top 1 when i checked in. They're at home. I'm disappointed.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And he's never been in my kitchen

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yes he does. As Baron said, it's only home games, but he still serenades me to sleep from time to time. And I don't even like the Dodgers.

7. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Last weekend, NFL Network aired the Niners-Cowboys NFC Championship Game from January of 1982 (The Catch game) which Scully called with Hank Stram on CBS. I was in elementary school at the time and don't remember watching it. So last week was the first time I'd had a chance to see it. He's a baseball broadcasting legend, but he was fantastic on football -- way better than anyone calling NFL games now. Unfortunate that he didn't continue doing it for very long. Anyone remember how many NFL seasons he did on CBS, or if he called football anywhere else?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Also did "Game of the Week" on NBC with Joe Garagiola and Tom Seaver until NBC lost the contract.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I believe he takes the night off when there's no local TV simulcast (there isn't one tonight because it's the ESPN game).

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I heard him last night on TV for the first time in a few years. His voice still sounds like he's 40 years old.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Seriously?

I won't post again because I'm obviously in the minority whenever I say anything about Mr. Scully, but you can't honestly think he sounds 40.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

His pipes are noticeably weaker, but he still paints the picture as well as anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted