1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vin Baker still dosn't get it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2909257

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

No chuck, vin baker has a serious problem with alcohol and an illness known as depression... it's not that he "doesn't get it."

Jackass thugs like Adam Jones... they don't get it.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I sympathize with the illnesses Vin suffers from, but it was still his choice to get behind the wheel drunk (if he's guilty.)

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Baker, who I do not think is a bad guy, desperately needs help before he does something that he cannot recover from.

5. IU90

IU90 Member

No, with Baker its more a case of "can't help it" than "doesn't get it". His offenses are entirely different than those of Vick, Pacman, Dukes, etc. They are born from weakness, rather than mean-spiritedness or disregard.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

A lot of star athletes "don't get it" because they've always been star athletes who were protected and didn't have to get it. They got millions of dollars doing it their way, and it's really hard to convince them their way is wrong.

I feel sorry for most of them, because most of them don't know they don't get it.

--------------

Baker's case is different. I feel really sorry for him because he probably can't help it. I've seen a lot of friends and family battle alcohol problems. It fucking sucks.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

We put these people of pedestals like they're gods, and then we call them out when they fuck up. Being a star probably comes with a lot of negatives that we probably can't possibly understand. We focus on the good stuff that comes with it, but being surrounded by yes men can't possibly be a good long-term situation.

EDIT: they're, not their, dumbass.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I only have passing knowledge of Baker & his troubles, and from my own experiences with his afflictions, he NEEDS to get into some sort of intensive treatment to help him along. He still should be held accountable for his actions, but alcoholism and especially depression are vicious diseases that can easily warp a person's judgement.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He made over 90 million dollars.

Hire a fucking driver!

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Except, Adam "Pacman" Jones plays--played?--in the NFL.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not that there's EVER a good place to drive drunk, but doing it in the Foxwoods area is pretty damn near suicidal. Those roads are windy and dark as shit. That's the general area where Manute Bol was nearly killed when his drunk cab driver crashed.

Oh and lil' Chuckie, it's doesn't. Not dosn't.

12. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Manute's crash was on a fairly major highway (Route 2) in Colchester. Vin got stopped on a two-lane road that isn't as wide-open as the main drag of Route 2.

Draft saved Draft deleted