1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vikings to Punt Chris Kluwe ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 6, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They are carrying more than $45 million in dead money and are destined to finish 3-13 at best. Last thing they need is a high-priced punter.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No, that was a vote gay guy campaign.

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

The Vikings will truly regret cutting loose Kluwe. Not only does it make the franchise look intolerant, it makes the franchise look foolish for dumping a fan favorite.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's why I was wondering about their cap situaton.

5. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

The only way the backlash will be bad is if Jeff Locke stinks it up next year. Nobody says a thing now about how they let Ryan Longwell go because Blair Walsh had a lights-out season as a rookie for a much lower price. They jettisoned Antoine Winfield too, so it's obvious they're cold-blooded when it comes to making cap room. And Kluwe was a favorite with some segments of the fan base, but I don't think he had many supporters among the cohort of Vikings fans who are also Michele Bachmann supporters, which is not tiny, and even some reasonable types, while granting that he's a smart and interesting guy, probably thought he was awfully full of himself and kind of annoying at times.

I think most people reasonably believe any issues the Vikings had have nothing to do with homophobia and were not with what he said, but that he said anything at all. Stereotypical old-school football types, in front offices and on coaching staffs, don't like "distractions." Priefer, the special teams coach who complained about him after the Ray Guy crusade last season, fits that stereotype perfectly.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Raiders need to tank for another year so they can get Clowney or Bridgewater in the 2014 draft... I don't think that will be a problem for them. :D

7. Mizzougrad96

Locke will really have to suck for the fans to "miss" Kluwe.

I doubt that will happen.

8. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Really, Mizzou? I highly doubt Locke will bring forth nearly the intellectual wit, band talent, video game knowledge or gay rights awareness Kluwe did. No way.

9. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Kluwe's other talents and interests, and his social conscience, made him a favorite of urban hipsters, Democratic politicians, same-sex marriage advocates, hardcore videogamers, and numerous others. However, most of your diehard Vikings fans aren't in any of those categories. A not insignificant number are, shall we say, not as on board with same-sex marriage, and many, many more just want their football to be a diversion into which real-world concerns do not intrude. Those latter groups won't miss him at all unless Jeff Locke starts shanking punts.

10. Mizzougrad96

Between losing Longwell and Kluwe, I'm guessing the people who will miss Kluwe the most will be the beat writers.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Most teams look first and foremost for music and video-game expertise from their punter.

Draft saved Draft deleted