1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vikings to Punt Chris Kluwe ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 6, 2013.

1. printit

printit Member

I agree that is the question. For punters, I think the answer is yes. For field goal kickers, I'm inclined to think the answer is no

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Tell that to Ron Wolf. In 1998 they exited in the wild card round. In 1999 they went 8-8, missed the playoffs and fired Ray Rhodes after one season. In 2000 they missed the playoffs. In 2001 they were dismissed in the divisional round. In 2002, the wild card round. In fact, they never made it to the NFC championship game until 2007 and then again in 2010. They weren't some kind of juggernaut for the decade-plus that Hentrich was in Tennessee.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If ONLY they had kept Hentrich.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll bet Hentrich would have been able to pin the Eagles inside their 20 in the playoffs after the 2003 season on the drive when the infamous 4th and 26 happened.

Josh Bidwell was a pretty good punter, but he completely blew it on the most important punt of his career.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Les Carpenter does the cause no favors with this column, in which he trumpets Kluwe's number of punts inside the 20 - which was actually terrible:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--chris-kluwe-s-release-by-vikings-sends-message-that-gay-marriage-talk-is-not-tolerable-in-nfl-204848762.html

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure he'll have plenty of other options to make a six-figure salary to work just a few days a week.

It wouldn't surprise me if Kluwe was smart enough with his $$$ that he can retire and play video games for the rest of his life, but I have a feeling he'll be on TV somewhere. I am curious if some of the stances he's taken might take him out of the running for a job at the NFL Network or if the NFL would let it be known that they're not a fan of him being on Fox, CBS, NBC or ESPN.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

On the other hand, the feng shui of the set would rock.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Seems like Bidwell did his job if after his punt the Eagles had FOURTH AND FUCKING 26!!!!!

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's what keeps veteran punters in the NFL. Ask Brad Maynard.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There has been more exaggeration of Kluwe's talent than there has been of Jason Collins'. Kluwe was 31st in the NFL in punts inside the 20; he was 22nd in gross average and 17th in net. And he'd be making $1.4 million while the rookie who replaces him would be making (presumably) the minimum of $405,000.

Spending an extra million on a below-average punter? Yeah, that makes tons of sense.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I expect better from Double Down.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Atlantic cites Bleacher Report for its "Chris Kluwe got screwed because he sympathizes with The Gay" column:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/05/nfl-gay-rights-advocates/64926/

Draft saved Draft deleted