1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vikings fire Childress AKA Rosie rejoices

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Miss me yet?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Nope, you're who we thought you were and your time in Arizona proved it.

And remind me again why Leslie Frazier - other than being the next black assistant we've deemed head coaching material - is this hot coaching candidate? What the fuck has he done that is so special?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The reason why the Vikings went after Childress so hard was because they were convinced he was the Packers No. 1 choice, which he was not. I don't think the Vikings even interviewed anyone else other than their required interview under the Rooney Rule, which might have been Frazier.

Tice was a meathead, but he was a low-priced meathead whose players actually liked him. I think he made the playoffs more times than Childress, but I'd have to look that up. Actually, I think they both made it twice.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It says everything about Tice that he likely made more money for selling Super Bowl tickets than the Vikings had to pay him to be the coach.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Remember when he punched himself in the face to motivate the troops?

What glorious times..

7. Mizzougrad96

I think Tice was the lowest-paid coach in the NFL the whole time he was in Minnesota. I think he had a winning record.

Dennis Green is a hell of a coach. He's also a lunatic.

Lord knows he's not the only one in the NFL who fits that description.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Two hires by different ownership groups are not a trend, as you imply in your first post. That's my point.

9. Mizzougrad96

And as far as Frazier goes, who the fuck knows how good he'll be, but I'd rather see how he does over the final six games and evaluate him rather than give him a 4-year contract with the hopes that he's good.

It's the same deal in Dallas, although the only reason Garrett hasn't been named the permanent HC is because the NFL is making Jones interview a minority candidate at the end of the season. Obviously a lot can change between now and then.

10. Mizzougrad96

It's typical because that's how THIS Vikings team has operated under Wilf.

They hired a coach because they thought he was the guy their biggest rival wanted.

They signed a kicker that the Packers no longer wanted. To be fair, he's done very well.

They signed a safety (Sharper) who had been cut by the Packers. Sharper did well there too.

Then there's the whole Favre mess. Favre did great for a year and has been terrible this season. They've also traded away a ton of picks and a respectable QB.

Never mind the Moss mess.

Where are the Vikings after this season. They need a new coach and a new quarterback. Their offensive line, which is still pretty good, is getting old fast. Most of the defense is pretty old.

They haven't developed many of their own players and as a result will have very little to show from the last five years.

Meanwhile, look at the moves Green Bay has made. They got younger and better while the Vikings got older and worse.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Vikings still have Adrian Petersen too. That helps.

12. Mizzougrad96

AP has the chance to be an all-timer. He had a cut on a run yesterday that I don't think any other back in the NFL could make.

Draft saved Draft deleted