1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vikings beat writer -- Minneapolis Star Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Aug 15, 2011.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Fantastic hire. Great talent, great work, better guy. We'll miss him around here.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Someone help the new hire buy some gloves, stocking caps, scarves and a book about how to layer up. Fayetteville to the Twin Cities...brrrr!!!

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Legit question -- there seem to be a lot of talented folks who come out of Fayetteville, and looking at a map the reason for this is not readily apparent. So what is the formula that makes this place so good?

4. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

While I certainly appreciate Mr. Badley's compliment, I don't agree 100 percent with his assessment.

Brian Tolley did a fantastic job as editor in Fayetteville and deserves part of the credit. But they have great editors there now, too. I think what makes Fayetteville such a great feeder paper is that you go in with a chance to succeed ... something that simply doesn't exist at some other papers any more. The Observer is a family-owned paper and the publisher, Charles Broadwell, is one of the family members. What that means is that the leadership of the company, from the publisher down, cares deeply about the product because their reputations in the (small) community is tied to it.

I can't tell you what a big advantage that is. Unlike many companies where the higher ups don't care at all about the quality of the product, in Fayetteville they do. If there were mistakes in the paper, I would get marked up copies from the publisher/owner. That will make you clean up your act real quick. But they also gave us a lot of space to work with and allowed us to write and design content that popped. In fact, they encouraged it. Our staff size was still fairly good for a paper that size, and they allowed us to go out and search for talent when jobs came open. That allowed them to get very talented people, like Dan Wiederer and Larry Graham, who have since moved on. Plus we still traveled to bowl games and to the NCAA Tournament with North Carolina and Duke (and I would assume N.C. State, if they ever made the tournament).

I'm not saying it's perfect there. They have had staff reductions the past couple years and have cut space some, just like everywhere else. But in Fayetteville they have done so grudgingly, and they have maintained as much staff and space as possible.

And MB is right, Fayetteville does run with the big boys in North Carolina, and I think often beats them.

To summarize a long answer, the reason that Fayetteville is a good feeder paper is because there is a commitment to excellence there that just doesn't exist many places any more. They allow you to succeed.

5. Larry Graham

Larry Graham Member

I'll add that Fayetteville was easily one of the best places I've worked in my career. And both managing editor Mike Adams and executive editor Mike Arnholt are top-notch guys. They put you in a position to succeed by providing you with the tools and guidance to do so.
    Plus, being at a family-owned paper definitely has its advantages. Charles cares about the product and doesn't hesitate to let you know when you've done a great job, or when he expects more from you.
    I'm not sure what the current situation is with the possible sports editor and writer opening, but Fayetteville is definitely a destination spot when it comes to advancing your journalism career or just finding a home.
    And Fayetteville does more than just run with the big boys, Fayetteville kicks their ass, repeatedly.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So with those kind words, I would think the Observer will be getting quite a few applications for Mr. Wiederer's former position. Anyone know if and when that will be filled?

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It sounds like a lot of places used to be 20 or 30 years ago. Clearwater Sun (you can look it up), places like that.

8. Paul_Pfeifer

Paul_Pfeifer New Member

Hearty congrats to Dan. I'm sure he'll do a fantastic job.

9. nitrobreath

nitrobreath Member

> I'm not sure what the current situation is with the possible sports editor and writer opening ... <

The former has been filled - announcement in this morning's paper. As for the latter, it'll be filled, which is big news since the past half-dozen reporters across the newsroom who left haven't been replaced ... not yet, anyway.

Todd and Larry are both on the money with their posts, BTW.

10. UNCGrad

11. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Thomas Pope, who was the ASE there, got promoted. He'll do a good job.

12. UNCGrad

Good call on Thomas.

But will they replace his old position?

Draft saved Draft deleted