1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Video rental thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Jul 6, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

Is there one already established? Sorry if so, but hadn't seen it pop up lately, at least.

Anyway, we don't get to the theater much between work and the little one, and figure there are others out there like us. Essentially, we don't tend to se many flicks until they get to the video store (why do we still call them 'video' stores, anyway?) ... so which ones do we need to watch? By the time the dvd comes out, if we've missed it, I tend to forget all about them.

So what have I forgotten about or what's new I should catch? We've gone ahead and become good friends with the redbox at the local McD's, so have caught several in the last few weeks at a mere $1 a pop. 10,000 B.C. was one I really enjoyed and would probably like to watch a second time. Spiderwick Chronicles was also actually kind of fun for what it was. Dan in Real Life, however, meh.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Jumper

not really.

Seriously tho, Cloverfield was a good time IMO.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I just picked up Eastern Promises and The Savages today.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Just watched "In Bruges." A film I wanted to see when I first saw the previews and then just forgot about it when it was in theaters at the beginning of this year because there wasn't much buzz for it. It contains quite the cast of characters and I really enjoyed it. I would definitely watch it again.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The dollar vending boxes at shopping outlets are going to kill the store concept. Hell, at the supermarket today there was a line of people waiting to rent off of that machine. If I ran a video store right now, I would be concerned.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Juno was a good choice from Netflix.

Rented from the red box first time last week. Got Wild Hogs because I'm looking at buying a motorcycle. Funny movie, and just a buck.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Breaking and Entering. Great flick.

8. jps

jps Active Member

Actually rented jumper and, honestly, entertaining. That's all I was expecting, and it was a good popcorn movie. Cloverfield, also -- though mrsjps just didn't get Cloverfield. She tends to like pretty conventional story telling, I think, which that was obviously not.

Juno's on my list. mrsjps had that and brought it back - didn't know I wanted to see it.

In Bruges sounds interesting ... honestly had missed that one entirely.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oh, and "Death Proof" is so worth the rental (or to own).

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

At most remaining "video stores" in these parts, the hardest ones to snag are Taboo I and II and Insatiable I and II. Or so I'm told.

11. Breach, Fracture, Juno, Pan's Labyrinth are good

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but didn't supermarkets offer VHS rentals for a buck or two in the '80s and early '90s? And by the mid-to-late '90s, the video section was gone, replaced by soda or something. So what makes this any different?

If anything kills Blockbuster, it'll be Netflix. GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Netflix!

Draft saved Draft deleted