1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Video on the making of the Sunday Washington Post sports section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Nov 23, 2007.

1. And your point is...

2. jaredk

jaredk Member

And your point is...
    [/quote]

I'd rather have learned, for instance, how the Post makes time go backwards. The piece begins with the clock at 8:29. A minute late, same clock, 6:15. That's a place with deadlines a guy could love.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Navy beat Notre Dame and "there were 20 other compelling games in college football" and they didn't even get pizza.

4. rascalface

rascalface Member

You just made me spit Dr Pepper all over my desk. Thank you.

5. I agree, unsarcastically. I really wanted to know how they did things at a paper that big - I only did sports at a very small paper - but this piece didn't explain it much at all.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That was a cut-up of a promo. Wasn't meant to be a documentary.
    The target audience wasn't journalists.
    As far as dress, the code on Thursdays in that newsroom (or others of that size) and Saturdays are two different things. To think otherwise is mistaken. I'm not saying it's a 1940s newsroom, but it's professional dress to a degree.

7. jaredk

jaredk Member

Huh?

What's a "cut-up of a promo"? A 4:23 promo? For whom? The Post? Comcast? L.L. Bean?

And what, plz, was the target audience? Only journalists could have understood any part of the deal. Civilians had to be scratching their heads.

8. fishwrapper

I have to be careful here. Did you expect to learn -- from conception to production -- the Sunday edition(s) of the Washington Post in 4+ minutes?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I was resisting the urge to comment on the attire, but since someone else did ... God knows people dress like that (and worse) in newsrooms, but it struck me as phony-looking, like a photo opp when the prez is wearing jeans at his ranch. Are people supposed to think the people in the shoot were taken by surprise, weren't forewarned there'd be cameras? What is the purpose? Are readers really going to say, "Hey Marge! That feller yonder's got his shirt untucked! Them's regular folks! Like us! Think I'll subscribe today!" I think it needed more realism. Someone should have yelled, "That cocksucker filed 28 inches and he's 20 minutes late!"

I always thought thought newsroom tours were stupid. You want to see our newsroom? It looks like any office you've been in, only people bitch more and keep more shit on their desks. Oh, and we eat here. (Hushed tone) This is where we keep the sports editors, it's very similar to their natural habitat only in captivity they tend not to throw laundry on the floor. They are generally friendly critters, just don't disturb them while they're feeding, you could lose an arm. Now over here in the business section ...

10. fishwrapper

Frank makes valid points.
    And, you guys think Emilio and Vita are in the office on most Saturdays?

11. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Hilarious tour, Frank. lmao

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If it showed a lotta copy editors...a copy desk really doesn't have a dress code.

Draft saved Draft deleted