1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Video games on a plasma TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dignan, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I recently bought a 42-inch LG plasma tv, with which I have no complaints.

Except one.

My PS2 games look like crap on it, and there is a slight delay which makes it impossible on my college baseball and college football games to throw, hit or kick accurately.

Has anyone else with a plasma tv had this problem? And what can I do to correct it?

The good folks at Best Buy had never heard of a "delay" when playing video games on a plasma, but it's definitely there.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No, but I've heard that you shouldn't play video games at all on LCD or Plasma TVs because of screen-burn. In fact, I believe any warranties are rendered null and void if the damage is caused by video games.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Man, you got a giant fucking TV. Stop complaining.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

bet you didn't buy it as Best Buy. The people there really know their stuff and would have told you to expect this... or so I'm told. :)

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Plasma TV's are subject to screen burn from Play Station. LCD TV's do not have the same problem.

As far as picture what you need is component video conection cord. They are available for Play Station

6. NDub

NDub Guest

I worked in TVs at Best Buy for a year.

Plasmas have burn-in from stagnant images but they have to be on there for a considerable amount of time. They'll go away after time, but you have to refreshen the pixels - i.e. put something on the screen that is constantly moving with no stagnant images, such as a movie.

With plasmas you need to let the phosphour burn for about 100 hours at a low brightness. This is just the way they work. So, basically, don't play video games on the thing for about a month or so. Seriously.

LCDs don't have burn-in. They are fine to play games on and I recommended them as the best fit for a gamer.

Also, invest in a new pair of cables. Ditch those crappy red, white, yellow cables and get some component cables. In the video game section, there will be a pair of 12-foot component cables for about 60 bucks. Use those. Just ask an employee - they'll know what you're talking about. I own a pair; trust me, they work.

Also, set your PS2 to widescreen (16x9 format) in the settings menu before you actually start the game. That will put your video games in widescreen and you won't have the "stretchy" look.

If you have anymore questions, just holla!

Draft saved Draft deleted