1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Video game thread — XBox, Wii and PS3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mannheimadler, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I have the PS3 and the Wii. PS3s go for $400, unless you upgrade and get the one with more memory. I only play Tiger Woods golf, Madden and GTA, so I don't need that much. I didn't buy the system - it was an Xmas gift from my girlfriend.

I didn't buy the Wii either. My friends and I make monthly trips to Dave & Buster's and I play the trivia game there and pretty much dominate and win like 7-10,000 tickets when I go. I cashed in my tickets here and there - picked up a motion picture for a friend, some ProV1 golf balls, a stuffed animal or two - but saved most of them. 62,500 tickets later, I had enough for the Wii. I didn't even want it. I just wanted to be that guy who wins the giant prize.

The PS3 is my favorite, but the Wii is unbelievably social. My girlfriend and I hung out with about 8 or 10 people a couple weeks back and all the girls wanted to do was play the boxing, tennis and bowling games while me and my buddies got hammered.

Later, everyone played Guitar Hero.

At some point, I'm getting internet at my new place and someone is going to have to explain to me how the internet works for both systems.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Elliotte, Rock Band for the Wii has been announced for this year, but no date yet. I'm thinking September.

You could spring for a cheap PS2 ($100) plus Rock Band ($160), you could wait for the Wii version and just buy the system now ($300) or you could ante up and get PS3 or XBox 360 ($400 to $500) plus Rock Band.

If you're new to games and don't expect to play that much, Wii is a good bet. Much more of a party machine.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

BTW, I've had a Wii for a year, using Internet on it and have never tried the friend codes. Only friend of mine who has one refuses to hook it up to the 'Net.

My code is 6284 3960 6040 1588 for anyone interested.

4. Gomer, I want to test to see if my other friend is just an idiot. my code is 6181 2148 3980 7664. let's see if this works

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

my roommate has all three.

ps3 for the long haul.

wii if you like playing bowling for 10 min.

6. BTW, I just bought MLB 2K8 for Wii so I thought I'd give a quick review:

Other than the fact that I already have carpel tunnel from the pitching and batting, I like this game a lot. Graphics leave something to be desired, but the game play is what you're buying this for. I tell everyone I discuss this game with that the controls just make sense. Take batting: You hold the Wii remote (hooked up to a nunchuck) with the sensor facing up. When the pitch comes in, you flick it down, towards the TV. It's all timing.

Pitching is a little different. You really have to learn your pitchers to know how much there curveball breaks, or where there slider is going to tail off to so you can aim appropriately. You use the nunchuck to select a pitch, and then aim the cursor at the spot your catcher is giving you. When you're lined up, you hold B, and aim the remote at the ceiling. A circle with three rings comes up, corresponding w/ the pitcher's windup. As he delivers, the outer circle (which is red) starts getting smaller and you have to flick your wrist toward the TV when the circle reaches the second ring (green). Again, it's all timing.

Fielding utilizes the nunchuck to move, and the remote to throw (either by flicking your wrist for a "smart throw", or the control pad to a base). Base running uses either the control pad (typical setup), or Z and B (to advance or return to the previous base).

So far, I've played on rookie (won 22-3, almost all of them on home runs), and pro (won 17-0). I'll try the next level, because it's way too easy.

But franchise mode is pretty good. Learning curve is low. Graphics are poor/fair. Haven't played multi-player.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

My PS3 just took a shit.

It seized up while playing Assassin's Creed, now it spits out every disc. Sony said it was a fairly common problem with the game (the firmware download causes the hard drive to become corrupted). They said repair/replacement should take about a month.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How old is it?

My PS3 did that and I returned it to Best Buy for a new one.

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I got it just after Christmas. I think Best Buy's return/exchange window is only 30 days.

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Anybody know where I can find a Wii?

No one seems to have them instock unless they are part of some crazy expensive bundle thing.

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

(bringing it back)

New Wii code (had to sell the old one to pay rent a year ago): 7979 7702 1092 9402

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Who uses Wii codes anyhow? I sent benchwarmer a message when he wanted to test it, sent my personal email a message for the same reason, but other than that I've never used the Wii's proprietary code.

Playing Tiger Woods a lot lately. I'm GomerStraw on the EA servers.

Draft saved Draft deleted