1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

video game question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Dec 13, 2007.

1. accguy

accguy Member

So I'm not a super huge video game guy, but I've had the urge lately to score something.

But I also don't want to spend tons of cash. I just want something to play sports-related games.

Would I be crazy to just go and get a PS2 now that they are a helluva lot cheaper than before? How much longer will they put out new games for the PS2? Would something else be better?

Thanks

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I've got to think they'll be making PS2 games for at least another year or so. The consoles are mega-cheap now, so that might be the way to go. Plus you'll always be able to find games for cheap on eBay.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Go with the PS2...You can always get games at GameStop.

http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?N=139+83

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

If you want cheap, I'll echo everyone with the PS2. Sony will keep pumping out stuff for that platform if they can't make the PS3 sell any faster. You could keep that PS2 for a few more years. I have one, which is just now being overtaken by my Wii, which is the best platform I have ever had. Have not played any sports games on it yet, but I'm going to let them work out the bugs first before I jump in and get one.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'll sell you my PS2, including a wireless controller, if you want it. Been used like 5 times. I can't figure out how to connect it with a TV, a Tivo, a cable box and a VCR/DVD player. I can only get fuzz.

I also have several games, including whichever NCAA game had Desmond Howard on the cover.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Scuttlebutt is that the PS2 will be re-released next year with a new lighter design after being released in Japan this year.

Either way, they continue to make games for the PS2 and considering the fact the newest PS3 model cannot play PS2 games and will thus likely not sell any better than the original PS3. . . . the PS2 is here for a while. It has an excellent stable of games. And you can still find some of the better PS1 games (Castlevania, Metal Gear, etc.) on Amazon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_2

Get one. Greatest system ever.

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

They'll be making PS2 games for awhile. It's still outselling the PS3.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They've already done that.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

The PS2 easily satisfies all of your requirements, which were the exact same as mine at the beginning of last summer when my original PS2 died.

Madden, the college football game and even MLB 07 have been, and still are, very entertaining games. I get Madden every year and have two versions of Tiger Woods. My WSOP game kills the urge I get every couple of months to go online and start playing poker with real money. So that's good. Or I'd be broke.

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Go to Target and get one of those joysticks that plugs into A/V slots and has 20+ old school games. You'll spend about $20 and many of those games have a higher replay value than most of today's games. Remember when getting a ridiculously high score was bragging rights?

Draft saved Draft deleted