1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Victory Lane or victory lane?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bulldog Smoltz, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Lately, I've noticed many AP auto racing stories, particularly from NASCAR, have gone with Victory Lane. Is this AP style now? If so, why? We don't capitalize end zone.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Probably because Victory Lane is a separate place from the track and the end zone is just part of the field. Then again so is the Pit or pit.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Every racing writer I've known insists on going upstyle with it. Myself, I think upstyle on it is tacky-looking.

4. Keystone

Keystone Member

I've always been told to uppercase it. As a racing writer, that's what I did. Many tracks also insisted you add the sponsor's name in your copy, which I usually ignored.

At my old stop the minor league baseball beat writer insisted we uppercase "opening day." My reply was that I'd do it if the paper paid us time-and-a-half to work that day. He ended up having a meeting with the sports editor and had the company style book changed.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Victory Lane is a branded name. Gatorade Victory Lane. So we don't use the sponsors, but it is a proper name.

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I've also noticed Victory Lane in AP stories. I'd say victory lane unless referring to a formal name, i.e. Gatorade Victory Lane.
    Same way I refer to city hall, unless we're talking Podunk City Hall.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

From AP's Ask the Editor:

Q. I've seen it multiple ways: What is AP's style on the casing of victory lane? Victory Lane? victory lane?– from Denver on Sat, Jun 11, 2011
    A. In NASCAR, IndyCar and NHRA races covered by AP, Victory Lane is capped.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

AP isn't right just because it's AP. This one makes no sense.

Besides, there is no victory lane at the NHRA tracks I've been to. There's a spot at the runoff area where the TV guys waits for the winner.

Some places call it victory circle. Indianapolis did at one point before the Pagoda was built.

Maybe we should write around it. Call him/her the winner and let it go at that.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This thread feels like a walk down memory lane.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Memory Lane.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Memory Lane®.

Draft saved Draft deleted