1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Victory!!!! ESPN Mobile to shut down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Hang up on ESPN, but they'll keep calling. Must stay strong, people!

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Indeed. It's always a good thing when a company that employs legions of journalists hits a business setback.
    That's good for all of us.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

You know what that means now that ESPN Mobile is shutting down?

Shawn Alexander won't learn from John Clayton how he got injured involving a lemon and a weinie dog.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Dude, we're talking about cell phones, which has nothing to do with the journalists employed by ESPN. Do you really think this cell phone debacle will lead to layoffs for the journalists?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

ESPN not dropping a cockamanie bust would lead to more layoffs.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Dude, you're cheering a financial setback for a company that employs legions of journalists -- and you're cheering the failure of a technological advance, such as it is, that might have created jobs for people in this business.
    Not getting it.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

he's got a point... maybe that's why whitlock got the boot, they knew this was coming

(and honestly, to call espn mobil a technological advance is a bit of a stretch)

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

As I acknowledged in my post.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, I get that you're lost. No cell phones will not result in ESPN laying off Chris Berman because he makes too much. The network will get by on Disney money, and no journalists will lose their jobs, unlike the cell phone people.

And I'm not cheering the financial setback. I'm cheering the philosophical setback. I don't want to see ESPN branch out to be more than I'm used to -- a place to watch live sporting events and get good analysis. I could care less about ESPN hocking cell phones or credit cards. Personally, I think that's going a little too far for a network. I know I wouldn't care to buy a cell phone to get Wolf Blitzer or Bill O'Reilly updates. Stick to what you do best.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, Chris Berman will get to keep his multi-million dollar home. Some production assistant on his first job will be on the chopping block if they start losing money.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oz, if the folks at General Electric went to whatever business school you attended, they'd still be making only light bulbs.
    (And if somebody at ESPN could actually hock a cell phone, as opposed to hawking one, I might pay to see that.)

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Rooting for ESPN/Disney is like rooting for Wal-Mart. You won't change my opinion, I won't change yours.

Draft saved Draft deleted