1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Victoria Advocate: Top-flight sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GidalKaiser, Jul 15, 2013.

1. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

From jjobs.com

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=979477

We have the team in place to create one of the nation's best community sports sections, but we need a talented and organized coach. While most of the industry is mired in a downward spiral, we’re a progressive, family-owned company that sees the opportunities for growth. We’re on a quest to be one of the best community newspapers and digital delivery systems in the country. We're looking for a sports editor who swings for the fences -- thorough prep coverage, nontraditional sports stories, and in-depth features -- and carries a good batting average. Your playing field must include digital platforms. Ability to speak Spanish a plus. We have a strong No. 2 in place who is acting as interim sports editor, so this could become a search for an assistant sports editor.
    We’re a 30,000-circulation daily in south Texas about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. We’re close to the beach and the big, fun cities of Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Houston. To join our team, send your résumé, work samples and cover letter to the Victoria Advocate, attention Managing Editor/Digital Thomas Martinez, at either tmartinez@vicad.com or mail to 311 E. Constitution, Victoria, TX 77901.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

People that swing for the fences tend to strike out a lot. ;)

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

anyone have input on Victoria? Seems like a decent size paper and town.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

One thing I do know is that the ad is a little misleading. It makes it seem like Houston, Corpus Christi and San Antonio are just down the road, and that is definitely not the case.

Looking at it on a map, it appears that Corpus is a good 2 hours away, Houston is close to 2 1/2, maybe 3, and SA probably 3 hours drive over a lot of two-lane highways. Even getting to the beach is probably close to an hour.

Anyone who looks into a job in Texas needs to remember that it is a BIG state. I'm reminded of that every time I drive over the Sabine River bridge on I-10 en route to my folks, who live near Houston, and see the first mile marker that says 880.

5. Random Journalist

Random Journalist New Member

Albert 77 is correct. Austin and San Antonio are at least two hours away and only accessible via two lane highways. Houston is no quick commute either.

As for the Advocate, from what I understand the place has had a half dozen Sports Editors over the last five years and a lot of turnover in the newsroom. There are some very good people there. However, the Editor of the paper is someone who has had serious ethical lapses in the past.

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20070224/NEWS/102240049

This can be a good opportunity for someone, but they should know exactly what they are stepping into.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Victoria is about two hours from central Houston, hour and a half from Corpus, a couple hours to San Antonio and a bit more than two hours from Austin. Hardly as remote as you guys are portraying it. Great mid-sized town.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So is it, or is it not, a couple of hours from most of these towns? No one has said otherwise.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Uhh, ok. Guess I'm misreading albert77's post.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Two hours in Texas is like 30 minutes back East. :)

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

This is about right. The town itself doesn't have much to offer, particularly sports-wise, but it is located nicely to other big cities.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It is the home of one "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. That's all I got ...

Draft saved Draft deleted