1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vick taken advantage of the whole way

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The cuss words in thread titles has been discussed before many times - the bigger, bolder type is more likely to be seen on a screen at work so we try to avoid it when we can.
    And, yeah, you've been a good, problem-free member for a long time which is why you didn't hear from me. But the thread title was bad.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Michael Vick could have used a Moddy in his life. That story was excellent, although when his back was against the wall and he needed to raise $1 million to avoid extra jail time, I think there might be another side to the story about what he signed on to with the financial adviser in return. His back was against the wall and he had no leverage. So in return for scrounging up $1 million for a guy going to jail who had already pissed everything away, maybe the financial adviser did work out a legit deal netting herself a lot of Vick's remaining assets. It isn't like he had a lot of choices. You turn to deals like that out of necessity and you have to pay to the bone. Think in terms of a guy who has massive gambling debts and turns to a loan shark. The loan shark charges outrageous interest.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When the mess with Marcus went down, before Michael's troubles started to surface, their mom told a friend words to this effect: I tried to do all I could but the one thing I couldn't do was be a strong, positive male role model in their life.

I'll repeat: I feel very bad for her.

4. I wondered about that, too. People don't manage your money for free. And they're hardly going to do pro bono work for a guy with millions in assets. Looks like the car, for instance, was payment.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The thing I really liked about the story was that while I've ready bits and pieces of some of that, I've yet to see a comprehensive story detailing all of it. I thought it was a really well researched story.

6. What's the possibility that the plan all along was for the financial adviser to 'take' some of his assets in order to keep them from creditors?

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Never to excuse Michael Vick for what he did he's serving his time for those crimes....

I will say that I can't understand how these crooks posed as investors get to walk free. Love him or hate him, he was robbed of millions by people and that has nothing to do with what kind of person he is.

It's bad for someone to harm pets but its perfectly ok for people to rob millions from the guy who did it? Explain that logic please.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

They didn't rob him. They took advantage of his stupidity and that's not a crime.

He should have been more careful in choosing the people he called friends and choosing the people with whom he trusted his money. But he was neither. He made his choices and now he has to live with them.

If there's any redeeming factor in this story it's that he's had a LONG time to think about what changes he needs to make when he gets out.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ding ding ding.

This is fucking karma rearing its beautiful head. Fuck you Mike.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not true.

Read the story.

Mary Wong embezzled funds from Vick along with a couple of other people.

The arbitrators who reviewed Wong's conduct deplored her "deceitful, fraudulent and shameful" actions against her customers and were "appalled" at her "implausible, convoluted explanations for her plainly wrongful actions." That is remarkably strong language in the polite world of investment counselors.

The second guy Talbot did the same thing.

In addition to the apparently false statements in his résumé, Talbot last week was accused of securities fraud in New Jersey in a scheme that ended just before he started visiting Vick in Leavenworth. Talbot and his cohorts, according to a legal action filed by New Jersey Attorney General Anne Milgram, managed to "defraud" several investors of more than $500,000 by offering them "asset enhancement contracts" that were touted as being guaranteed to pay between 12 to 35 percent per week.

You don't have to put a gun to someone's head to rob them

As much as I don't have a lot of sympathy for Vick, these two should have the book thrown at them and suffer Starman justice.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry JR but he got exactly what he deserved.

If he had even an ounce of intellect, he would have found someone who could have investigated Wong. I imagine it would not have been difficult to find out she'd been barred from workign with any NYSE-traded company. And a Yahoo search of David Talbot would have proven he was a fraud.

Not one iota of sympathy for him and the idiots who have helped to piss away his fortune.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

No, I'm lumping everyone together. As a group, his family, friends and whathave you didn't rob him per se, but they took advantage of him.

Those two, if found guilty, certainly did defraud him.

Draft saved Draft deleted