1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vick taken advantage of the whole way

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Aug 16, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Good story, sad tale ... and an awful thread title, now much improved.

2. joe

joe Active Member

I'm not saving my sorries for Vick. Fuck that dude. Got taken advantage of? Too fucking bad.

Like all of Munson's stories or TV reports, too fucking long. Dude needs an editor.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

No, I'm aware it's not an 'endorsement' deal per se, ala what he had with Nike. It's just that I find it interesting he could be accepted on any level by any organization, this 'pro football' league being one of them.

That and I didn't want to admit that I misremembered what I read. :)

4. give. it. up.

and if he's a special sort of stupid willing to sign up with a half-assed football league, he'll probably end up like almost every wha player did: with about 10 cents on the dollar.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Didn't realize companies were lining up for his edorsement, as schiez thought.

Please.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad headbutt changed the title before I saw it, thanks sir. People should know better.
    As for the story itself: Vick, for all his athletic skills, has never had a shred of leadership ability. There were concerns in college about some of his old friends hanging around and his mother left Atlanta at one point because she was disgusted by the hangers on.
    Marcus is not doing better financially. He was living off Michael's money.

The one I feel bad for is the mom. In my dealings with her, she's struck me as a good woman. Worked hard, two jobs, trying to raise four kids mostly by herself and raise them the right way.

Oh, and those tossing out the cute one-liners here as you do on many threads? You really need to ask yourself - am I funny? Generally, you aren't. You have no sense of when that type of thing is appropriate and when it isn't.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This story was terrific. Good to see someone at ESPN still has a brain.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I suppose the two situations cannot be compared. But my husband's business does gross a significant amount of money each year. And I know where every penny of that money goes. Just the same as I did when it grossed next to nothing. I personally cannot imagine ever giving up control of that to a point that I didn't know what was being done with my money.

But the year that I make $25 million, I'll let you know if that changes. ;)

9. multiply this statement by the number of threads on this message board

anyway, it's a strong story and good to see them doing this kind of stuff

i've got a twinge of compassion for this guy

not excusing at all what he did but when somebody gets taken advantage of like he did it's just sad as hell

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

What are the odds that someone is going to approach Vick for a reality show when he gets out of prison?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's nothing fucking sad about it. What it is, is, the wages of stupidity.

With heaping helpings of greed, selfishness and cruelty thrown in for good measure.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

No offense, but the people who were seriously offended by my thread title and have decided to let me know probably need to loosen up a bit.
    Look, I've been on this board for a few years, and I never knew cuss words weren't kosher in thread titles. As for the "raped," much worse shit is said every 5 minutes around these parts.
    But now I know. Won't happen again.

Draft saved Draft deleted