1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

vick on "60 minutes"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Several national guys have bolted from Nova Care Center so it's not that crazy any longer. But should someone's dog come up missing......

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wish every NFL team had something like the Nova Care Center. That place is awesome. I don't know if anything has changed, but the Eagles are typically one of the most media-friendly teams in the league.

The Texans are the best, but they have to be, because they're the Texans.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Birds, Dolphins, Browns (when Modell was there) Bengals and Chiefs have always been pretty good to the media.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Dolphins have gotten pretty bad... It started to get really bad before Saban got there and then got worse when he was there. I think they got rid of the media area got rid of the media parking lot. I'm sure it's gotten better since, but I can't imagine it's as "media-friendly" as it once was.

The Eagles are great.

Of course, the Texans are the team that held press conferences for every coaching candidate they brought in. That just can't be topped.

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Brown said this morning on the Dan Patrick show that there were no restrictions to the questions he could ask and that he even asked Vick about it before the interview began. JB said Vick told him to please ask the tough ones because he wanted to answer them.

Vick deserves a second chance, but I'm not sure I buy his sincerity just yet. I was hoping JB would ask him if he would still be doing it if he hadn't gotten caught and how he got involved in the first place.

I thought he did OK.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

you know what? i must would've preferred the interview had been conducted by someone not perceived by most to be an nfl too. for example, it bothered me when vick answered a question and referred to brown as "j.b."

a pick little thing, perhaps, but yeah, that bothered me. it's like vick felt he was a part of one of the nfl's yukfest pre-game shows.

the whole affair reeked of a comfy set-up, with occasional "tough" questions thrown in with little to no follow up.

my .02, anyway.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great point. Steve Kroft or Lesley Stahl would have worked for me.

Incidentally, the second piece in that show (after probably 90 percent of America changed the channel) on the war planes being manned by remote-control by pilots just outside Vegas was mind-blowing.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Or he was nervous, or it was his first one and he wasn't confident in what he was talking about yet, or he was trying to make sure he said the right things, or he just isn't a great public speaker, or he hasn't been in civilized society for two years and is still trying to get re-aquainted with how to ineract with people......

But no, none of that could be it, because, well your wife, who I'm sure has had so many conversations with Michael Vick said so....... ::)

9. zagoshe

You mean, sort of like every time they interview Obama?

And who gives a fuck what PETA and Humane Society idiots think? Thankfully their 15 minutes of fame is quickly coming to an end.

The man served his time, who cares if he is remorseful. And I'd suspect that anyone who really thinks he isn't sorry for what he's done is a few cans short of a sixpack.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you have to "try to make sure you say the right things," chances are you do not believe what you are saying.

11. zagoshe

or chances are that you are a highly polarizing figure who has everybody watching and scrutinizing every damn word that comes from your mouth and trying to analyze it and find some sort of deeper meaning to it (and given how the politically correct love to pounce on everyone who mis-speaks) and thus you are making sure every word you say is the right tone, the right word, the right thing based on a very unrealistic set of standards which have been set for you.

I mean christ, if I were that dude I wouldn't want to say a word for fear that ordering a hamburger will incite the PETA people and the others who want me to fail would use that as evidence that I wasn't remorseful for animals dying.....

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

ESPN just reported Philadelphia has moved Vick to the punter slot.

They needed a pooch kicker.

Ooah! Ba da bump!

Sorry. Heard it as I passed Rome today.

Draft saved Draft deleted