1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

vick on "60 minutes"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 16, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good questions, though I'm sure there was some off-limits stuff that CBS/Brown had to go with. Maybe the Humane Society guy didn't want a play-by-play from the kennels.

I'd have asked Vick about all his old "friends." Will post-jail life still include an entourage?

2. Crash

Crash Active Member

I don't think Dungy's reputation is on the line at all. People respect Tony Dungy. Most people have a general idea of what kind of person Tony Dungy is. If Mike Vick fucks up again, it's going to be because Mike Vick is an idiot, not because of anything Tony Dungy said or did.

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I agree with just about all you wrote, though I wonder if he has even cared to weigh any potential reward/risk for himself.

Didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't care or didn't have reason/right to do so.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm not defending Vick, but he gets crucified for running the dogfighting ring, goes to prison and is now trying to rebuild his life.
    Ray Lewis kills someone, doesn't spend a night in prison, is still in the NFL and then, years later, speaks at McNair's funeral.
    Only in America.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When did Ray Lewis kill someone? Did I miss that?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I am amazed at how so many people can say that he is not showing enough remorse for what he did. What more can he do? He's been to prison. He's broke. He has apologized. He can't bring the dogs back. I don't understand what more people want from him.
    I say he's paid his debt. Leave him alone and allow him to live his life. If it's back to the NFL, then so be it, but this guy is being villified over and over and over again. Hell, Rae Carruth, Ray Lewis even Dante Stallworth, have gone through what this guy has. Also, what does it say when you can get a month in prison for killing a man while driving impaired but receive two years in prison?
    It tells me that justice is truly blind.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't give a shit if he shows no remorse at all. He did his time.

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I was skeptical about Vick's sincerity from the outset.

Then he said he cried in prison because he lost his freedom. That pissed me off.

Then he said he wanted to get back to church as he had been raised (if I understood him correctly). At that point, I knew he isn't sincere at all. I am surprised PETA is buying the act.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I put this out on an earlier thread and perhaps it may have a bearing here. It would appear that many of those who oppose this guy coming back are not African American. I'd like to think that race isn't a factor in this but is it?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree 100 percent. He was held accountable for his actions and that's more than anyone can say about 99.9 percent of professional athletes.

That said, Chris Martin faced tougher questions last night than Vick did.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I'm sure PETA isn't. The Humane Society, for now, is. Big difference between those two groups.

Also, did anyone watch the extra stuff on cbs.com? Anything worth mentioning there?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Michael Vick is the needless media feeding frenzy of the moment. I couldn't care less about any of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted