1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vick indicted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Not enough.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

As a Falcons fan, I'm relieved. I want him nowhere near my stinkin' team.

I have not been following this as closely as I should, but a friend of mine told me there might be a morals clause in his contract whereby the Falcons could cut him with no cap penalty or a reduced cap penalty... true or not?

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

They should just do it anyway, cap be damned.
    The guy is a piece of crap.

4. Lugnuts

I hope they do. It would be really hard to root for the Falcons this year with him under center. I've already cancelled Sunday Ticket because of this. But I am concerned about the cap because if they take that kind of a hit, they're destined to stink for years to come.

Oh wait.

5. Lugnuts

Apologizing for the double post... but that made me laugh. ;D

You know, he really is a great reporter, and he gets it right so often.

But this smells of somebody in law enforcement telling Mort "indictment doubtful" so Vick would get comfortable and careless, so they could potentially gather more evidence on him.

----------

I heard the AJC Falcons beat guy on the radio last week, and he could not have been more clueless about the investigation. He was hemming, hawing and doubletalking his way around the friendly questions from the host. He concluded by saying, "My guess is, Michael Vick will be in camp with no action taken." He just didn't have any information, and basically admitted as much. Which is fine-- his job is to cover a team-- he probably never dreamed he'd have to cover a federal investigation.

But say this for Mort. At least he talks to law enforcement and other people in and out of the league. He's putting himself out there A LOT.

6. boots

boots New Member

He wasn't clueless. He had an inkling of what was going on but declined to release it on someone else's radio show.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The AP story goes into a lot of details of what's in the indictment and, frankly, it's just sick.

— In March 2003, after a pit bull from Bad Newz Kennels lost in a fight, it said Peace consulted with Vick about the losing dog’s condition, then executed it by wetting it with water and electrocuting it;
    — In the fall of 2003, a person witnessing a dog fight involving one of the dogs trained by Bad Newz Kennels incurred the ire of another cooperating witness by yelling out Vick’s name in front of
    the crowd during the fight.
    — At the start, authorities seized 66 dogs, including 55 pit bulls, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting. About half the dogs were tethered to car axles with heavy chains that allowed the dogs to get close to each other, but not to have contact — an arrangement typical for fighting dogs, according to the search warrant affidavit.
    — Sometimes, dogs weren’t fed to “make it more hungry for the other dog,” it said.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how many, if any, of Vick's friends are willing to either:

1. Take the fall for him.

2. Roll on his ass to keep themselves out of prison.

I just wish they'd had a chance to put him in the box and question his ass...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Bunk: So Mike ... Who's your dawg?

Vick: Lawyer, mutherfucker. Lawyer.

(Just a joke from The Wire for all my peeps.)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Feds aren't going to seek a half-assed indictment...
    They've got the goods; whether they can prove it or not is another story...

And mile high, is that 6 yrs and 350k on all charges or each count?

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Will the Vick brothers ever be cellmates?

11. boots

boots New Member

'
    Bigger question, does Marcus have herpes too?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

All counts (unfortunately).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.