1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vick case thread....please behave

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Well, in a previous discussion I asked you some serious and pointed questions in an effort to understand your stance on a topic and you shot back with: STFU. I'm not playing that "game" with you.

Nice.

But in this instance, I'll address one point. If Vick is involved in this stuff, he deserves all the punishment the law will allow. Ditto if the QB in question were P. Manning or T. Brady or B. Favre.

Yet in discussing Vick's case with some members of the black community, I've been told: No way Mike did it (read set-up); but if he did you can't understand that it's a cultural thing and you're not part of our culture; and my personal fave, you should be just as upset about deer hunting as you seem to be about dog fighting.

Chee, I can't allow myself to get all caught up in the hip-hop debate because I don't care for the genre. Haven't spent a penny on it and won't in the future. It's a matter of personal taste and I think the debate obscures the more important issues at work. Hip-hop ain't the devil; rock-'n-roll wasn't either in my day.

When I read that column I hear Burwell saying that Vick (and others before him), for whatever reason(s) fostered a significant amount of credibility in certain quarters (white and black). And those folks have been willing to accept/embrace/ignore certain questionable behavior (alleged, in this instance) because of that credibility.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

BS. I didn't lump anyone. The buyers of 70% of that trash are the buyers of 70% of that trash. You somehow feel you're hinged to the 70% of the buyers I pointed out when I clearly pointed out them out for who they are.

I dind't paint any group with a broad brush. I simply stated the truth. Now if you can somehow show the fallacy in my argument, by all means, do so. But htis accusatory finger pointing of behaviors I never exhibitted is pure trash on your part and is a cop out.

I clearly showed where that article had holes in it. You of course dismissed it and resort to making me out as something I'm not.

Do yourself and become a journalist. Investigate and research. That's what I do before I come to my conclusions. Why does it bother you when confronted with it?

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Chris Mortensen really sounded out of his depth talking about Vick on Mike & Mike this morning, briefly comparing it to the Duke case and how the Falcons and NFL couldn't move too harshly against Vick, in case the charges were dropped or weakened.

4. Mmac

Mmac Guest

"Do yourself"? Is that a new euphemistic way of saying go fuck yourself?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He's so busy ranting he's leaving words out. I don't have to pursue the topics he wants me to pursue to be a journalist. A reporter talking about the Vick case does not need to be an expert on who controls hip-hop marketing in this country. Let him keep ranting on barely-related tangents.

One more time....let's keep this about the "alleged" dog-torturing asshole Michael Vick.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I will not be surprised at all if Vick has played his last game as a Falcon. Blank has got to be tired of all the Vick shenanigans and could well be at the tipping point where the PR damage #7 repeatedly causes off the field outweighs anything that happens on the field.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How did/does Warrick Dunn share a locker room with Vick?

Dunn is one of the true good guys in in the NFL, and he had to take handoffs from this alleged piece of filth.

Has Dunn made a statement about the charges?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If he's smart, he's staying very far away from it. Plenty of people are tearing Vick to shreds. Why cause himself trouble that he doesn't need?

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The tough result for the Falcons if they dumped Vick would be a crippling salary-cap hit that could hurt the team for years. Maybe the Falcons can trade him to the Raiders for Russell. :)

10. 93Devil

Sure, but wouldn't be an interesting compare/contrast type of feature?

http://www.warrickdunnfoundation.org/index.asp

11. 93Devil

Or for some used footballs and a dented water cooler.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Perhaps Vick wasn't pitting his dogs against real heavyweights in the game who can afford larger bets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.