1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vick, Bonds, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BH33, Nov 19, 2007.

1. BH33

BH33 Member

When stories such as Michael Vick turning himself in for dogfighting, and Barry Bonds being indicted - and the stories are being played out in court - come up, where should a newspaper play these stories?

Should these stories appear in the sports section, or the news section?

I have my opinion, but I'd love to hear what others think.

2. Writer33

Writer33 Member

We ran Bonds' indictment above the fold on A1 and an additional on the front of our sports section. I thought it was the right call.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

We put Bonds' indictment on A1, but sports was too packed with local copy to take it, so I don't know how much that played into it. Since we don't run as much national/world news pages here, I don't expect to see anything less important than the indictment in news when we can put it in sports and save room for whatever Bush/Condy/Cheney is doing these days.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bonds, below the fold on 1A.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Where's the big breaking news about Tim Donaghy, then?

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

We teased it on the front despite the sports editor's demand, and rightly so, to put it on A1. I found it somewhat lame that we instead ran another A1 piece about the sinking housing market. Especially after looking at all the other papers in the area on Newseum.org who had it on front.

7. BH33

BH33 Member

Jakewriter, which story are you talking about - Bonds or Vick?
    I can see Bonds going on the front, but only as a tease. I think both stories should be in the sports section.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

We would not be writing about them if they were not involved in sports.

If it's worthy, front page. Otherwise, sports.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow billy. thanks for the heads up.

Draft saved Draft deleted