1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vick and the terms of his reinstatement

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Aug 24, 2009.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm not posting this question because of Michael Vick. I'm wondering about specifics and semantics and accuracy and the like.
    Pro Football Talk asked whether Vick has violated the terms of his reinstatement to the NFL. It cited a New York Post story that leads with the following:

PHILADELPHIA -- Hours after his return to the football field, Michael Vick sat in a corner booth last night in the Riverbend Bar & Grill, sipping on a Grey Goose and pineapple juice and talking with two friends.

The story then references Goodell's letter to Vick outlining the conditions of the return. That letter includes:

“Among the conditions of this reinstatement, you are required to abide by the terms of the supervised release that were imposed on you by the court, which include not committing any further crime, limits on who you may associate with, prohibitions regarding drug and alcohol use, ....."

And then the Eagles say this:

The Eagles responded this morning to a report on the ProFootballTalk.com web site that suggested quarterback Michael Vick may have violated the terms of his probation and jeopardized his reinstatement by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell because, according to a report last week in the New York Post, he drank vodka.

"We are aware of the report and it is not in conflict with terms of his probation or reinstatement with the NFL," team spokesman Derek Boyko said in an e-mail.

The Aug. 16 New York Post report described Vick as being in the Riverbend Bar & Grill "sipping on a Grey Goose and pineapple juice and talking to two friends."

The posting on PFT cited a July 27 letter from Goodell to Vick that stated "you are required to abide by the terms of the supervised release that were imposed on you by the court, which include not committing any further crime, limits on who you may associate with, prohibitions regarding drug and alcohol use, possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, and forbidding you to own, possess or be involved with the sale of any dog."

The web site later quoted league spokesman Greg Aiello as saying in an e-mail that "our press release referred to conditions imposed by the court. Anything to do with the league's program is confidential. I am not aware of any violations to the terms of his reinstatement."

So here are my questions:
    1) What's the NY Post's sourcing on the identity of Vick's beverage? Given the firestorm that has erupted -- and should have been predicted -- shouldn't this sort of thing be specified?

2) How and why can the NFL or the Eagles say Vick hasn't violated terms of his return or that such terms are "confidential"? The league released portions of the Goodell-to-Vick letter -- on its own Web site, mind you -- that clearly link reinstatement and compliance with federal probation/parole guidelines: “Among the conditions of this reinstatement, you are required to abide by the terms of the supervised release that were imposed on you by the court, which include ... prohibitions regarding drug and alcohol use, ....."

Seems pretty straightforward to me. What am I missing?

2. I believe I've noticed something: Some reports state there is a "prohibition" on Michael Vick using alcohol. Others use the term "abusing" alcohol. The former would be a ban. The latter implies that he could have a drink or two, just so long as there's not an incident resulting from it. This could be where the confusion begins?

3. tapintoamerica

That makes sense. Thanks.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's my understanding that he's following the terms of his probation and there is no alcohol ban on his probation. Therefore, it wouldn't be fair and illegal for Goddell to prohibit Vick from drinking alcohol.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Disagree on illegality. The NFL is a private employer and if Goodell wants to impose a behavior policy above and beyond what the courts set as probation, he may as a condition of employment in his league.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

You bring up an interesting point and to be honest, I don't know about the legality of an employer doing that. I tend to believe that if there is a no drinking provision - and Vick hasn't had any alcohol-related issues - that o, his lawyers and the Player's Association would fight Goddell.
    But again, you do bring up a good point.

7. tapintoamerica

So when Goodell wrote, "prohibitions regarding drug and alcohol use," he wasn't saying that drug and alcohol use are always prohibited. Maybe they're prohibited under certain conditions that aren't specified in the letter. (Prohibited in certain quantities, at certain times, etc.)
    I think I've got it now.

Draft saved Draft deleted